Join for free
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2015, 08:43 AM

Fit for work???

In areas where the 'fit for work' assessments are taking place there has been an increase in the suicide rates - I wonder why???

http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2015/11/16...essment-areas/
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Re: Fit for work???

Probably because that after a lifetime of sponging they just could not bear the prospect of having to work for a living !
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Probably because that after a lifetime of sponging they just could not bear the prospect of having to work for a living !
Oooops !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->

And your answer to this is ....???

"The experts concluded: "The programme of reassessing people on disability benefits using the work capability assessment was independently associated with an increase in suicides, self-reported mental health problems and antidepressant prescribing.

"This policy may have had serious adverse consequences for mental health in England, which could outweigh any benefits that arise from moving people off disability benefits."

They added: "Although the explicit aim of welfare reform in the UK is to reduce 'dependency', it is likely that targeting the people living in the most vulnerable conditions with policies that are harmful to health will further marginalise already excluded groups, reducing rather than increasing their independence."
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2015, 09:18 AM

Its a bit of a leap of faith to conclude that the reassessment program is responsible for the increase.
Especially when despite your attempts to select the parts that seem to give weight to your argument yet you leave out quotes like these.

"The evidence goes beyond merely establishing a correlation but falls short of establishing a causal link.

"However, it is extremely difficult to rule out all other explanations - especially when dealing with aggregated data (averages at the local authority level). This is therefore an important step forward in answering the question rather than a definitive answer."
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2015, 09:49 AM

Well having seen some of the people they pass as fit struggle to walk to the bus stop and then find no one will employ them because they are not fit enough I do wonder where it all ends for them. This does sound like it may well be true.

Latest person I heard of was a agoraphobic who has never left her flat in 35 years she can't even put a bin out or go into the garden. Fit for work ? I don't think so but they did. Then when she couldn't get to the job centre they sanctioned her and she had her benefit stopped entirely. Lucky her husband works so they are hanging onto their home but for how long I wouldn''t like to predict and I know she has attempted suicide before so it's not beyond her to do it properly at some time.
jon
England
jon is male  jon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well having seen some of the people they pass as fit struggle to walk to the bus stop and then find no one will employ them because they are not fit enough I do wonder where it all ends for them. This does sound like it may well be true.

Latest person I heard of was a agoraphobic who has never left her flat in 35 years she can't even put a bin out or go into the garden. Fit for work ? I don't think so but they did. Then when she couldn't get to the job centre they sanctioned her and she had her benefit stopped entirely. Lucky her husband works so they are hanging onto their home but for how long I wouldn''t like to predict and I know she has attempted suicide before so it's not beyond her to do it properly at some time.
Thats sad to read those poor people what must they be going through ... sometimes we are too quick to judge the more needy ones , from those that just want an easy life , i know someone who left school & has never worked in his life & hes 40 now & as fit as a fiddle ,

How he gets away with it i honestly do not know , lives in a rent free council house claims for everything & still does cash in the hand work , its those sort that need to be dropped down on

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top