Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Shivering Sunday

Good morning everyone

Just finished de-icing the birdbaths and putting some fresh nuts, fatballs, seeds, buscuits and bread out for our feathered freinds.

Nothing planned for today so unless 'she who must be obeyed' has other ideas then I am just going to relax and play around with a new C.A.D program I bought for the computer.

Have a wonderful day everyone and remember that if you just rememebr one person hwo has left this world then their life will not have been in vain.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2011, 09:25 AM

Re: Shivering Sunday

Morning AB, we did our birdy thing yesterday after I had built them a new bird table (the old one had collapsed under the weight of snow!).
One of my daughters and her family are over for lunch today so I`d better go and peel some spuds.
Have a great day if you can everyone..
Barry
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Good Morning AB, PM and All and hope you have a good Sunday, relaxing (if you can)

Just about to take Loki for her first long walk of the day and hope it stays dry! Cold outside and looks like more snow is on the way I hope not!

Take care and stay safe.

Love your gif AB and I hope you enjoy your CAD program. I used to help the designers in Coats with the CAD program but I was useless!! I take it that it is a computer aided design program?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Hope everyone has started the new year off well.

I haven't been on much lately as my son is staying for a few days. We had a family get together yesterday, a turkey dinner followed by games with our grandchildren, buffet on the evening and plenty of smiles and laughter ..... perfect!

Have a great day all!
dbeyat
New Member!
SE Queensland, Australia
dbeyat is male 

02-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Is putting food out for birds (& other animals) recognised as a good thing in Britain?

In Oz, wildlife people warn against it because the animals become dependent on the handouts. They cite the situation where Occupier A feeds the local wildlife, sells and Occupier B doesn't continue the practice.

Not feeding wildlife - except in dire circumstances - is my preference. We plant animal & bird attracting trees and leave them to their own resources.

Any views?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by dbeyat ->
Not feeding wildlife - except in dire circumstances - is my preference. We plant animal & bird attracting trees and leave them to their own resources.

Any views?
Think that's a great idea!

I'm not sure about the pitfalls of feeding birds here, but must say that it has worried me in the past - not for the reasons you put, but because I dread to think what's actually in this bird feed. The way business is just out to make a fast buck, I would imagine it is full of chemicals/crap - that is damaging our birds health
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by dbeyat ->
Is putting food out for birds (& other animals) recognised as a good thing in Britain?

In Oz, wildlife people warn against it because the animals become dependent on the handouts. They cite the situation where Occupier A feeds the local wildlife, sells and Occupier B doesn't continue the practice.

Any views?
You do have a valid point dbeyat, but personally we only feed them through the winter when natural food is scarce. Sentimental perhaps, but it is nice to see the birds and it does have a certain (maybe misguided) feelgood factor attached to it.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2011, 05:24 PM

About feeding the birds I'd rather error on the side of feeding them otherwise there might now be any to enjoy in springtime.

As far as Cadd programs goes it brought back memories of my cad day back when DOS was the operating system on home computers. I bought this little cad program called Generic cad that had all the useful power of the elaborately expensive Autocad for a tenth the price. I used to design & build mt own furniture with Generic cad until the big bad wolf, Autocad, bought them out. Guess what, Generic cad disappeared from the shelves shortly after that.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Yes Rosemary, it is a computer aided design program, TurboCAD 17 deluxe.

My old one was a bit outdated so I treat myself. I have always designed things, Guards to fit sewing machines for blind people to use, snow ploughs for Bicycles, Kitchens, Heating systems house conversions, car modernisations.
Designing whatever your mind thinks of can be fun.

Bob, I remember Generic, often wondered what happened to them.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2011, 05:38 PM

Hi, all! Weather back to more seasonable after yesterday's delightful 14 C: drizzle and 8 C (46 F). Nice while it lasted. Nothing special on the agenda for the day: papers and crossword. Broiled crab cake and the rest of the black eyed peas for dinner.

Bird feeding? I do it year round; just put out another suet cake yesterday. I suppose that's a valid point about the effects of stopping, but have enjoyed the company of the wild birds for all my life; not going to stop. Azz, just looked at the ingredients of my bag of seed ... all natural, no additives or preservatives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top