Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 03:18 AM

Dentists Charge Like Wounded Bulls

I went to the dentist today,. 45 minutes and three fillings later I am $450 poorer (£225).

Waiting for the aesthetic to wear off so my mouth works again.

Never understood why teeth are not part of your body as far as Medicare is concerned.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 04:04 AM

Re: Dentists Charge Like Wounded Bulls

That sounds incredibly expensive for just three fillings, Bruce! I guess one aspect our NHS is good for is charges such as these, which over here would cost much less. Obviously root canal treatment and such like would be more expensive.

Did you go private and is there a similar option in Aus like we have with our NHS?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Yes that does sound expensive. We have mainly private dentists around where I live. There are a couple of NHS but it's impossible to get treatment as there is a waiting list of around 14,000 people. I haven't been to the dentist for about five years now and I doubt I will again, I shall just have to accept it when my teeth fall out.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 10:24 AM

It's still cheaper than getting the vet to take pet's teeth out.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
True!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
That sounds incredibly expensive for just three fillings, Bruce! I guess one aspect our NHS is good for is charges such as these, which over here would cost much less. Obviously root canal treatment and such like would be more expensive.

Did you go private and is there a similar option in Aus like we have with our NHS?
All dentists are private they are not part of Medicare. If you are under 18 or elderly and poor then you get $3000 worth of treatment subsidised by the government for free.

If you have medical insurance then that covers dental treatment but I gave up my medical insurance many years ago and to be honest I don't find these charges too much to bear, it is not like you have to go that often. If I paid tax then I could claim them as a tax deduction once my out of pocket medical expenses exceeded $1500 (I think that is the right figure).

The dentist I go to now is more expensive than my previous dentist but it took weeks to see her whereas this mob I can get an appointment within days (or hours if you have toothache) so I am prepared to pay for the convenience.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->

That's true,Tess!.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 07:28 AM

Here in New Zealand dental is not part of the health system except if you are under 18 when it's free (other than cosmetic). just last week I had a back tooth out and it cost me $124. The dentist I attend has an arrangement with the Otago Dental School where students in their last year get practical experience under the guidence of the experienced dentist. This is optional as far as the patient is concerned and cost is reduced by 45%. Being mean by nature I opted for this and was very pleasantly surprised that I nearly fell asleep in the chair.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 01:34 AM

Hi all. Yep Bruce it sure is expensive. BUt I have to say your dentist sounds pretty cheap compared to mine. Is that $450 your out of pocket after a partial rebate from a private health fund or the total cost? Last time I had a similar amount of work done it cost me twice that much. I'm with HCF.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-04-2019, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Hi all. Yep Bruce it sure is expensive. BUt I have to say your dentist sounds pretty cheap compared to mine. Is that $450 your out of pocket after a partial rebate from a private health fund or the total cost? Last time I had a similar amount of work done it cost me twice that much. I'm with HCF.
That was the total cost - which I paid. I gave up medical insurance when an anaesthetist wanted to charge me $1000 gap payment for a minor op on my son. (I didn't pay it)

I have found that dentists are much cheaper when you tell them up front that you don't have health insurance (whether you have it or not).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top