Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2012, 08:20 PM

MRI Scan

Has anyone had one and what was it like? Does the person doing it speak to you all the time? And how long did you have to wait before you had one? - All on the NHS.

I've got to have one as the consultant I saw seems to think I've got a stone in my bile duct and that MRI scan will show up if it is that. I'm getting a bad attack about once a week and it lasts about 13 hours and it's REALLY painful. If it stays once a week which I can cope with as long as it's not any more.

Can anyone help with any of the questions or has any advice. Thanks
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Re: MRI Scan

Yes, I had one not long after I'd had a mini-stroke to see if there had been a bleed to the brain. Luckily, there hadn't been.

Just to warn you, once the machine starts, there's a lot of rather horrible sporadic grinding noises and you don't know when the next sound is going to come. I found that a bit disconcerting. At one point there was a sound like a revving motorbike directly over my head.

Nobody can talk to you as you will be alone in the room where the scanner is, but you'll probably be offered head-phones to listen to some music - which doesn't really help.

It's nothing to worry about really and, if I'd been told what to expect before I went in, I'd have had a better idea. I think it only took about 15 minutes, but it felt like longer.

Hope this helps, and very good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2012, 10:41 PM

My mum had one for a stone in the bile duct too (I was told, that because she had her gallbladder removed that stones were likely to form in the bile duct) anyway...she fell asleep while having her MRI scan
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2012, 11:05 PM

They told me it was noisy, but it was horendous cos it's in a big tube like thing and it echoes all around you.The bed slides in and I'm a little claustraphobic and terrified of any kind of electrical machinery so that didn't help and when he said you can come out now I tried to get off it before they'd pulled me back out. It didn't hurt or anything, it was just being in it and bangs going off and I had to keep still when even my own shadow makes me jump. Mine was for my eyes so can't help with bile duct I'm afraid. But there's really nothing to worry about the scan itself it's just so noisy.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 12:01 AM

Hi Alison I am sorry you are still having problems, here is some information on what to expect.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/MRI-sca...performed.aspx

...it doesn't sound bad and will be worth a bit of discomfort if it helps to find the cause and gets rid of the pain.

I may be having a CT scan in January which I think is a similar procedure and I don't mind the prospect at all .
Good luck Alison, let us know how you get on..
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 01:07 AM

My other half was booked in for an MRI scan a few months ago, but when they put her in the machine she completely freaked and had to be taken out. She suffers badly from claustrophobia (as do I) and just couldn't cope with it. I'm just as bad. I used to do a lot of mountain climbing and was once asked to be a "victim" for a mountain first aid demonstration. This involved being strapped, totally immobile into a stretcher and carried down the mountain by the rescue team. After a few seconds of immobility I started screaming for them to unstrap me and told the rescue team, "If this ever happens in real life, leave me to die - anything is preferable to that f***** straightjacket!" I guess I would be useless in an MRI scanner too!
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 01:18 AM

Ive had 2 of late & I had to be sedated for them as I couldnt stand the tube being so close to my face. Saying that I dont go in lifts either so perhaps im not the best person to offer much advice.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 01:22 AM

I too am very claustrophobic but once the medics had me in the position they required I had a panic button put in my hand, I also had the headphones with music, which was quite useless. I lay there completely frozen, then the clicking started, followed by the most horrendous noise, it was like being underneath one of those road thumping things, this continued for what seemed like hours, the clicking, the loud noise. When they rolled me out I was like jelly, my legs wouldn't hold me up, haha. The medics found this amusing and asked if I wanted to go back in for another go ! It's a completely painless procedure but if you are claustrophobic it's quite daunting.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 01:42 AM

Everyone has more or less echoed what I've said and, to be honest, it's not an experience I wish to repeat.

I too am very claustrophobic, but as soon as I was left on my own, I closed my eyes, so I had no sensation of being moved into the tunnel.

You have to be absolutely still but, when you hear the loud noises, it's human nature to "jump."

The only advice I can give you, now that you're aware of the noises etc is, if you can, calm yourself down and listen to some really good chill-out music before you go to relax you, but now you've asked the question and have had various answers, you'll know what to expect, so it won't come as such a shock to you.

I'm glad you asked and once again, good luck lass. I hope we've helped.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 09:21 AM

I have had a few scans on my head so cant listen to music although I felt it could have done with it in a quiet room with a noisey machine.
I have to make myself float away to a sandy beach and imagine I can see the sun shine and hear the sea. I do it when I go to the dentist and find it a good way to spend the time. As mentioned you get used to the noise the machine makes but I would think of the 13 hours pain you are getting and tell yourself its all worth it. Not something you would want to do everyday but if it gets you right in the end then its worth the trial.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top