Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Exercise - getting obsessive

Why do well meaning people who run support groups, or advise people with health, especially mobility problems seem to think that all they need is more exercise! I recently joined a support group but, was put off because the first meeting involved a "Life Style" coach to advise on exercise etc.
Do they think we all sit around all day getting fat & unfit? Seems to be the mind set these days that " if ONLY they'd exercise, they'd be healthy".
I e-mailed & told them I was too tired after taking the dog out....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:16 AM

Re: Exercise - getting obsessive

Count me in gal - cant stomach 'keep fitters' - their conversations surround that subject - or - diverts to it .... Boring in the extreme and, they really think we wanna hear all about it !!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Personally, I find exercise junkies a total bore and they love to bore you with how fit they are.

" if ONLY they'd exercise, they'd be healthy".
I am living proof that that statement simply isn't true and also, I worked for many years in Sport & Exercise Sciences and I can tell you that there are few of them without permanent injury - and that doesn't include missing teeth and broken noses from squash balls they didn't get out of the way of quickly enough!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:23 AM

I get fed up with people looking at this plump middle-aged woman and trying to fix her with joining a group, club or advise on getting fitter! I am as fit as I can be given my body and I'm not fat I'm fluffy!
Runners & ballet dancers get problems when they give up, or even before if their knees & ankles go!
They seem to think that you were never fit & able to do things, gets on me pickle!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:27 AM

Lovely 'fluffy' Twiz .......
If only everyone would settle for 'fluffy' - life would be so much more interesting
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:29 AM

One of our Ministers for Education was a total own-body worshiper - he was a life-long vegetarian; never drank tea, coffee, wine or pop - just water or green tea; ran in every marathon he could and won many of them; ran umpteen miles a day and spent endless hours at the gym. At 47, he was diagnosed with heart disease. Although I felt sad for him, a small part of me wondered if 'divine retribution' had stepped in as the man never missed an opportunity to lecture you on the evils of drinking a cup of coffee, bore you with his daily regime or just plain talk about himself. Guess he's learned the hard way that diet and fitness is not the secret of eternal youth or life.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

05-06-2013, 10:32 AM

Don't tell anyone Pats, but, I'm not really fluffy sssshhhh!
Go swimming they say! How can you when you get in the water & your muscles cramp as soon as you get in the water! I even get cramp putting on me wellies!
Anyway I decided I'd rather potter round the garden!
My sister (nice one) has always looked after herself, veggie, exercise, etc. Just finished third lot of chemo, got bowel cancer, (no symptoms, did a postal test) spread to her liver & them came back after remission. Other one drinks to excess, eat rubbish, sits around all day - nothing!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

05-06-2013, 10:33 AM

You'll always be 'fluffy' to me gal ......
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 11:32 AM

People keep telling me I should exercise more. How can I??? I have arthritis in all joints in my lower limbs (have had both knees and both hips replaced - one hip a second time and t'other one is not too clever either), can't walk very far (don't know the meaning of the word 'Run' anymore). Can't swim (I'd go rusty!!!), so I sit in my armchair and twiddle my ankles till they too become sore (arthritis has spread to my feet).
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

05-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Bless you Joe! Keep twiddling!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top