Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Re: Exercise

used to walk every day...not now...get a bit puffed out now...so don't want to push it .other than gardening and house work...and like patsy ...i loved dancing...every weekend when i was young....kept me slim too...
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 06:11 PM

I do at least an hour of Zumba each week, more if I can...I walk whenever I can rather than use the car.

Exercise if enjoyable is more likely to be kept up.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 06:37 PM

I'm a gardener so am gardening all day 6 days a week. When I worked in an office I used to go to the gym daily. After two weeks skiing in the Alps I got home midday on the Sunday. I was changed and in my car to go to the gym when I realised what I had done. Went home, showered, got dressed and went to pub.
It can be addictive
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 06:41 PM

addictive....the pub or the gym...he he
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
It's a fact Meg that dogs tend to exercise us rather than the other way round...
Don't they just Barry and we wouldn't have it any other way...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=Myth and Magic;367197]I do believe that exercise of whatever sort is good; I used to walk for miles with my dogs; the three of us stayed healthy beyond our years.
Sadly now the dogs have gone, since they died, my own fitness has diminished, however if exercise was the answer to all ills, surely athletes would live for ever [/QUOTE]

Never thought of that Maggie.
Libera
Kent
Libera is female  Libera has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 02:29 PM

I walk 2-4 miles at a steady pace every day mainly on the flat and near the sea if possible. I also dance every week - one hour ballet and one hour tap - we do work up a sweat in those classes!
I did try the gym but it was full of sweaty men showing off!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Libera ->
I walk 2-4 miles at a steady pace every day mainly on the flat and near the sea if possible. I also dance every week - one hour ballet and one hour tap - we do work up a sweat in those classes!
I did try the gym but it was full of sweaty men showing off!
Sounds very invigorating Liz and better than any gym
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 06:37 PM

I've done a U turn on the whole keep fit thing. I used to be very sporty - right from childhood until I damaged my thigh about 3 years ago. But, what has made me rethink was the fate of one of my dogs. She used to go everywhere with me - up into the hills or down into the deepest glens to the shoreline; these walks would often take a couple of hours. In the evening, we'd walk on the beach and, weather permitting, she would swim the entire length too. She went on all the scout camps and went camping with my son and his friends every weekend where she would be swimming and walking for miles. The vet was always impressed with her level of health. I commented on her age (at that time, she was around 17 years old and still very spritely) and the vet again said it was due to her active lifestyle.

Within 12 months however, she lost her eyesight, had trouble with her legs, her kidneys stopped working properly so she lost control of her bladder then she couldn't control her bowels either. Eventually, she couldn't walk at all and finally, she went deaf. But her heart continued to beat as strongly as ever. We had to make the decision to have her put to sleep as it was cruel to leave her the way she was.

So I've decided, I do not want my heart to keep going strongly when everything else is packing up!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2013, 03:28 PM

I believe walking is one of the best things we can do for exercise. I usually walk at least an hour and a half per day x 7 days per week. Not all together, usually in two sessions, walking as briskly as I can. My dog is always ready to go out and she is good motivation for me to put my coat on and get out there and walk.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top