Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 12:05 AM

Gym!!

For the first time in my life, I am off to the GYM tomorrow!!!
My son (a gym instructor!) and hubby have ganged up on me to go. I HAD been thinking about going but never had the courage to go on my own.

So its off for an induction tomorrow on the condition that my son goes with me to hold my hand! He's not doing the induction but got a lady colleague to do it instead. He tells me that a lot of folk get addicted to going, so we'll see if that's the case with me!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 12:08 AM

Re: Gym!!

Go steady, madam!
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 12:14 AM

Yes Twiz, I will. I am very unfit so might be dead when I come outta there!!

I'll let you know one way or the t'other!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 12:18 AM

Well done Joy for getting the courage to go! Will look forward to your first report .... if you're not aching too much
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 06:23 AM

I went a few times when I first retired but I soon got bored with it. I much prefer going for a walk in the countryside.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
Yes Twiz, I will. I am very unfit so might be dead when I come outta there!!

I'll let you know one way or the t'other!

Joy darlin' - a cautionary tale. After 2nd hip operation in 2005, Surgeon suggested that I needed to strengthen thigh muscles again. I signed up to a gym (they're not cheap!!!) and went there once a week for about 3 months. On my final visit, I gave my legs a 'real' workout on the step machine (the one with poles on it too and looks like you're power walking). Whilst on this machine and give it a real go, I got a pain in my chest, collapsed off the machine and sat on the floor. The staff called an emergency ambulance and I was whisked off to hospital. No, it wasn't a heart attack, but I did have another Pulmonary embolism (a blood clot inside my lung - my 5th - and so far my last). I spent the next 5 days in a hospital bed.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I went a few times when I first retired but I soon got bored with it. I much prefer going for a walk in the countryside.
I found it very boring as well - and expensive. Decided that the two mile walk there and back probably did me more good!
Now I walk about six miles per day - usually early morning when there are no traffic fumes. Just come back from a woodland walk - and what a walk this morning! It is blowing a gale and I needed a hard hat because of all the falling branches!
Moonin
New Member!
Bedfordshire
Moonin is female 

05-12-2013, 08:48 AM

I started going when I retired. I go about 3/4 times a week and I really enjoy it. I walk the dogs and then go to the gym for an hour. Lots of people to chat to in the coffee shop post exercise. I have my ipod on blaring heavy metal down my ears - bliss. Doc said it would be good for warding off osteoporosis and good for high blood pressure ( haven't got it yet)
I live being retired after having been stressed and miserable in my job for years. I want to stay fit and healthy to enjoy thus as long as possible.
So enjoy xxxxxx
x Anne x
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 09:34 AM

I'm far too stingy to pay some gym owner business person to keep or get me fit. I prefer working out with a purpose, like chopping wood and carrying heavy stuff around, walking up and down the hill because I always forget something and have to go back to get it.
My son goes to the gym and forks out money to do so, but I can't see any benefit yet. He is still as slack and overweight as ever.
Having said that, let me say this....give it your best shot Joy and hopefully you'll come away with having a healthier body and healthier mind.
Mind you, your body looks healthy enough to me as it is.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-12-2013, 10:59 AM

Thank you folks. I will report back later on how it went.

Thank you Plop, you've not seen the rest of me!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top