Join for free
Page 234 of 370 « First < 134 184 224 232 233 234 235 236 244 284 334 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 06:41 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Happy New Year all. I just took the plunge and joined a Gym that's easier to get to, and they are very high tech. They give you a slot-in keyfob that you log in with when you enter the gym, and then plug it in to each machine you use. It records what you do, so you can look it up on a terminal in the Gym and also download an app to record it on your phone. All cunning stuff!

What's really great is that it's the perfect gym to "upgrade" to, as they have exactly the same machinery as they do at Age UK, with the bonus of all the more strenuous techy machines as well as free weights. I can warm up on the machines I'm used to and then have a go on the heavier machinery. How great is that! Another advantage is that it is open in the evenings and at weekends. Just had the induction session and will start recording data next week - as long as I keep remembering to plug the keyfob in!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 07:08 PM

Tachyon, that's great and a happy new year to you buddy

I love the sound of that new gym. Is it much further away for you?
That ID card idea with the figures stored in the machines is a great idea. As you work out you'll be able to check on your previous best efforts and that can only make you work harder. Love it!
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 08:28 PM

The bus drops me off about 300 yards away, which is great. The other "big gym" I used was about a 20 minute walk to get there and another to get back to the bus stop. My legs are much better but after a gym session they feel the aches a bit and the walk back was not fun.

Just downloaded the MyWellness app which links to the machines at the gym. I'll be ready to record automatically next week. You can set up training regimes and planned goals on it too. If only I remember to log in and out! Also, the older non-techy machines obviously can't have data recorded, so I might have to use them purely as warm-ups now. The wonders of technology, eh... I remember when all you needed to do is count the reps and note the weights you were using, and now the keyfob does it all for you.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 09:51 PM

Sounds good mate
Can you automatically send your training reports to this forum? That would be good
I'm still using pen and paper in the gym. Suits me fine as I don't see how my write-up would work on an app.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Question for Floyd:

If a person is seriously ill, not likely to ever get better, would you advise then to try to exercise anyway, (like walking for instance). Do you think it would help them have an easier time?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Really good questions, Mups!

Though you asked OGF, I hope you don't me chiming in from a female perspective.

When the kids were little, I reduced my workouts and put on weight. For the first time in my life I experience back, foot, and knee pain.

Once I took up running again, all of those issues (plus a few others) disappeared. My siblings with whom I share DNA and general body type - and are not runners - have had many more problems with arthritis, going degeneration, and pain. In fact, my sister, who has spent most of her adult life at a desk is going to need knee replacement and hip surgery, and she's three years younger than I. She has never run or exercised regularly. My mother, who wasn't exercising at the time, needed a knee replacement at 55.

The research is showing what I have theorized for a long time; running doesn't cause osteoarthritis. More, it helps develop long muscles that do the work so the bones and joints don't have to - thereby protecting them. There are people who have had joint and other injuries from running, but they are likely to have been the result of years of running with poor shoes, failing to let muscles recover, skipping training, or running in poor form. All of these can be avoided with some good advice from a fitness trainer and a little research.

The clock is ensuring that I am slowly but surely falling apart, but the running isn't to blame. All the bits and parts are feeling pretty good!

Agreed; the more the merrier. Anytime someone proposes an idea or asks a question, it's refreshing. This thread is like the great outdoors - there aren't any walls and it belongs to everybody. .

Surfermom, my apologies, I have only just seen your reply, and thankyou for explaining.

I have some foot problems so running would not be for me.
I have been doing Yoga for abot 8 years now and this has kept me flexible, but doesn't get your heart pumping much, so I feel I need a different kind of exercise as well as the Yoga.
I am not a swimmer, so that wouldn't work for me either.

I think they key to doing well is it has to be something you enjoy doing. It won't work if you hate every minute of it and have to force yourself.

I will get searching now Christmas is out the way. Maybe I will re-join the gym I left last year.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts, it is interesting hearing how you all get on, and what a nice friendly thread this is - unlike some of the others lately.
Tachyon

05-01-2019, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Sounds good mate
Can you automatically send your training reports to this forum? That would be good
I'm still using pen and paper in the gym. Suits me fine as I don't see how my write-up would work on an app.
No idea, Floydy. It would be interesting if that worked though. At least with these machines I can see the Kg weights, too. Once I get the hang of it I'll see what can be done.
Tachyon

05-01-2019, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Question for Floyd:

If a person is seriously ill, not likely to ever get better, would you advise then to try to exercise anyway, (like walking for instance). Do you think it would help them have an easier time?
Well, speaking personally from my own experience, I'd rather have strong legs that were painful than weak legs that were painful. In my case the exercise can cause no tissue or bone damage because it's inflammation caused by my over-active immune system. My new medication, Methotrexate, is suppressing my immune system and the legs have improved a bit, but all illnesses are different. My strategy might not help someone else. It might make things worse.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-01-2019, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Question for Floyd:

Hiya Bluey
It would depend on their type of illness for a start. I can't say. If you were more specific, i.e. is it physical or mental? Has the person lost any limbs? Does the person have cancer or some other serious illness?
I would only suggest that if a person with an illness that doesn't affect too much immobility can at least go for a walk, then yes, that would certainly improve their quality of life. Much better than vegetating in an armchair until the end of days.
But as I say, you need to clarify the actual issue
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-01-2019, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think they key to doing well is it has to be something you enjoy doing. It won't work if you hate every minute of it and have to force yourself.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts, it is interesting hearing how you all get on, and what a nice friendly thread this is - unlike some of the others lately.
Hi Mups, forgive me for highlighting part of your text destined for Surfermom to answer, but I'll butt in if I may...

Your first quote there reminds me of the so-called "New Year Fatties" who join gyms or start to go for a jog every January 1st with the best intentions to lose the weight they have put on over Christmas. It never works.
Whilst they are commendable for trying, it is only the people who actually want to exercise who will enjoy it as you say and stay the course. Those who need to lose weight will invariably falter and drift away from it within a month or so. It's like anything - it has to be inbuilt in your psyche, i.e. it's like a hobby. You have to be interested to begin with or you'll stop doing it.

It's a lovely thread, Mups. We all get along famously. Yes, I know I have some set-to's on a few of the other threads but that's because I am the type of person who can not sit on the fence. I speak my mind and it's tough if others don't like it. At least I'm being honest.

Page 234 of 370 « First < 134 184 224 232 233 234 235 236 244 284 334 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top