Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2009, 02:17 PM

"Alternative" remedies?

Do you use any alternative remedies? Homoeopathic or herbal; acupuncture, reiki, chiropractic etc. Any you can recommend???

I always use witch hazel, arnica, comfrey, aloe vera and now tea tree oil/lotion or gel for various skin complains, sprains or bruises. Echinacea for colds, fennel for digestive problems.

I have been to a chiropractor and an osteopath in the past successfully. I think osteopathy has moved into main stream medicine now, thankfully. Quite fancy an Indian head massage. Anyone had reflexology?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Re: "Alternative" remedies?

I'm sure acupuncture and aromatherapy massage started my frozen shoulder on the road to recovery.
I use similar herbals etc as Angie for minor ailments.
Fortunately I am a healthy soul and don't need any 'serious' medicines or treatments. I would actually be very worried about starting on a medicine regime.
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2009, 05:07 PM

I visited a herbalist some years ago for the fall out from some rather serious ailments (cured by surgery but left feeling under the weather). She helped me immensely in both this and several other things.

She is a qualified medical herbalist, studying a similar time to a conventionally-trained doctor and I will always seek her counsel in preference to a GP or similar.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2009, 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=angieh;5692]Do you use any alternative remedies? Homoeopathic or herbal; acupuncture, reiki, chiropractic etc. Any you can recommend???

I always use witch hazel, arnica, comfrey, aloe vera and now tea tree oil/lotion or gel for various skin complains, sprains or bruises.

I always use arnica for sprains or bruises-very good and I find aloe vera very soothing for the skin. Never had reflexology or an indian head massage, but did go once for legs and back massage-found it so relaxing I fell asleep :blush
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2009, 10:42 PM

I do use witch hazel, and swear by tea tree cream...
SageCat
Suffolk, UK
SageCat is female  SageCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 05:45 PM

I use and am interested in alternative healing methods and at one time had a fantastic chiropractor who worked wonders with my back problems. That was when I was married and had some money! Now I'm divorced with a mortgage and have little money left over for stuff like that.

I make some of my own aromatherapy lotions and potions which saves a fortune on expensive brand products and normally work much more effectively! I also use herbs in a similar fashion, and also use them round the house as
Thyme is probably the most effective anti-bacterial there is.

I use crystals for healing and have been attuned to Reiki level 2.

I have a very open mind with what a lot of people call 'mumbo jumbo', but believe it or not, some of it does work!
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 09:35 PM

I'm very envious Sagecat . . . I would love to have the time to experiment. My Mum bought me a detailed book on herbal remedies several years ago but time (and a cynical OH) have conspired to keep me from it.
SageCat
Suffolk, UK
SageCat is female  SageCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2009, 12:07 AM

Funnily enough Yola, it wasn't until after I was divorced that I gave full-reign to all my 'alternative' interests. I don't think it was because he would have scoffed at them, but more really that I could explore fully a lot of what I had known inside of me for a long time but just hadn't felt it the right time to really get into it all. Am I making any sense here??
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2009, 01:34 AM

Anyone have a remedy for infected fingers.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2009, 12:27 PM

What can I take for flatulence, . . paaaarrp, . . them AB's I'm taking are gas bombs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top