Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Kneecap problem

Has anyone ever pulled a muscle in their kneecap? I have and it's bloomin' painful. I went to the doctor and that's what she reckons it is and she suggested I had an xray done of it which I have, I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the result. The doctor told me to keep moving not to rest it too much, she's got to be joking! I can't stand for any more than 5 minutes as it hurts so much. I've never had this before and wonder if any one else has.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2010, 12:16 AM

Re: Kneecap problem

I haven't but it does sound painful Alicat!

Hope you get well soon - and maybe the doctor means just moving it (ie while sitting down?).
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2010, 12:24 AM

Ouch Alicat, that sounds so painful! Hope it starts to ease soon.....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2010, 02:44 AM

Ouch indeed, Alicat! Never had that. Did the doctor suggest any heat treatment,or using any anelgesic cream like Celadrin?
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2010, 03:03 AM

Are you sure the Dr said a muscle? If she did i'd see another Dr lol The patella is supported by a tendon that joins the 3 knee bones to the quadriceps and down onto the tibia
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Cassie is right Alicat, you have Ligaments, Cartilege, Tendons and bone but no muscle.
You do not say how your knee came to be sore or where the pain is ( back, front,side) so diagnosis is difficult.

Sport injuries tend to be:-
Torn Cruciate/Collateral ligaments, treatment with Cold ice pack, rest, imobilisation and elevation.
Dislocation of the Patella, the bone at the front of the knee is not ih its normal position and needs to be put back into position.

It could be Tendinitis (Most likely in your case) the pain is at the front lower part of the knee caused by straining the knee joint.
Cold ice pack and gentle exercise could improve the problem. Like Tenis elbow a cortisone injection may be neede if the problem exists for a long time.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2010, 03:47 PM

I did wonder about there being any muscle in the knee too..

My husband has suffered with knee problems for years due to having TB in it many years ago.

He suffered a very painful knee incident earlier this year where he was unable to put any weight on his leg, he saw his doctor who said it was a Baker's Cyst which is a benign swelling (although we couldn't see anything there) at the back of his knee. The swelling is due to an increase in synovial fluid - the fluid that lubricates the knee joint. A course of tablets and rest sorted it out in a couple of weeks.

I hope you find some relief soon Alicat, two weeks is a long time to wait for your xray results.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks for all your replies and kind thoughts. You've got me wondering now. Hopefully the x ray will tell us more. I forgot to say the doctor did prescribe me some painkillers, they don't help that much.

The doctor definitely said pulled a muscle , I'm a bit worried now. The pain is sort of at the side of the kneecap.

It's a bloomin' nuisance all the same, I can't take the dog out or do anything! Hubby takes her out when he comes home lunch time.

Thanks again.
Alicat
West Berkshire

19-11-2010, 08:37 PM

It wasn't quite so bad until yesterday evening when I tripped over the dog and fell on top of my husband!!!!!!!!!

That hasn't helped it! The dog is fine by the way, can't say the same about hubby though.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
It wasn't quite so bad until yesterday evening when I tripped over the dog and fell on top of my husband!!!!!!!!!

That hasn't helped it! The dog is fine by the way, can't say the same about hubby though.
Oh Alicat, that's one step forward and two back! Hope its not set you back too far. Poor hubby-hope he's ok!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top