Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 01:08 PM

Re: Self-defence for the older person

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Glad you asked that too, summer.

Where do you get a pepper spray from as well?
You don't; it's illegal, at least in this country. Strangely, though, it is permitted in other countries so that innocent women have some sort of chance against rapists and the like.

I can only assume that our powers-that-be, don't worry too much about rape.

Of course, although it is illegal there are ways and means. You can make your own and carry it about quite legally. I think some have posted examples on here.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Oh, thanks JBR.
Jiggs
Ontario, Canada
Jiggs is male 

31-08-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think a pair of running shoes too , I was wondering what's an LEO ?

Sorry...acronym for Law Enforcement Officer.

Here in Canada you can purchase pepper spray legally as its sold as "bear repellant". My 87 yr old mother carries a canister in her purse.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You don't; it's illegal, at least in this country. Strangely, though, it is permitted in other countries so that innocent women have some sort of chance against rapists and the like.

Of course, although it is illegal there are ways and means. You can make your own and carry it about quite legally. I think some have posted examples on here.
Anything legally available as a tool for self-defence is also legally available to those that could use it as a weapon.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jiggs ->
Sorry...acronym for Law Enforcement Officer.

Here in Canada you can purchase pepper spray legally as its sold as "bear repellant". My 87 yr old mother carries a canister in her purse.
I'm guessing that's just for the bears.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Anything legally available as a tool for self-defence is also legally available to those that could use it as a weapon.
That's very true.

Hair spray though, for example, is likely to be seen as something a woman might reasonably have in her handbag, but a rapist?

Then there are some excellent anti-rape devices here:

http://www.oddee.com/item_98705.aspx

Makes your eyes water!
Jiggs
Ontario, Canada
Jiggs is male 

31-08-2017, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
I'm guessing that's just for the bears.
LOL, they come in all shapes and sizes around here One Outdoors store that sells it makes you sign an acknowledgement that you purchased it for protection from bears.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 09:27 PM

That's very true.

Hair spray though, for example, is likely to be seen as something a woman might reasonably have in her handbag, but a rapist?

Then there are some excellent anti-rape devices here:

http://www.oddee.com/item_98705.aspx

Makes your eyes water!
With a small chain attached.....and a Zippo lighter
Senex
California, USA
Senex is male  Senex has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I went to a self defense class that involved using walking sticks, I can't remember any of it.
I'd certainly fight back though if anyone tried anything!
Here's a source of instructional DVDs that might jog your memory:
http://www.canemasters.com/
Senex
California, USA
Senex is male  Senex has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 12:13 PM

Make some Fire Sand. Get a half pound coarse sand and place in an enamel or stainless steel saucepan with tight lid. Cover with water, throw in about 5 Scotch Bonnets (peppers) split in two. Lid, bring to a boil, let cool. Strain. Spread the sand on a cookie sheet and dry it out in a warm oven. It works better than pepper spray.

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top