Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 02:20 PM

Whatever next . . . Flying Cars?

Not sure if this should be in Cars, or Technology?

Anyway, I have just been reading about future technology planned for cars.

Flying cars! How does that grab you?

They reckon - "Flying cars could soon help ease road congestion, and save the planet.

"US scientists claim airborne vehicles are greener than conventional cars as long as a trip is longer than 22 miles.

"Several aerospace companies, as well as Nasa, are working on flying vehicles.
They are driven by batter-run electric propulsion units.
But with take-off and landing requiring large amounts of energy, experts warn they will be only be greener over longer distances.

"Flying cars as part of a ride-share taxi service could be valuable in congested cities, the authors wrote in the journal Nature Communications."

First thing that came to my mind was it was a belated April Fools joke. After that, I thought they contradicted themselves by saying only for longer journeys over 22 miles, yet then when on to say about using them like taxi's in congested cities, because I would have thought most inner city taxi's would only be quite short distances, e.g. theatre - restaurant for example - not long runs.
And anyway, if the cities were that badly congested, where would they be able to build some sort of runway & landing strip near to venues?

Daftest idea yet. Pah!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 03:26 PM

Re: Whatever next . . . Flying Cars?

April fool or not, I'm certain it will happen in the future, hopefully not in my lifetime, don't fancy dodging low flying Beamers on the way to Tesco's. They probably wouldn't need a runway because they would most likely use vertical take off and landing.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Yes, I heard someone on the Radio "Droning on" about it.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 05:36 PM

Old news actually. Elon Musk of Tesla is already on it:
https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-ne...-a-flying-car/
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 09:59 PM

I don't know whether flying cars would ever be a reality but I thought this was really cool.

"Parked on my drive way"

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top