Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Re: What Do You Record Your Television Programmes On?

Sorry to bring back this thread from the dead but I haven't seen any mention of playback using the Humax recorder. Does it have a built-in disc drive or do you plug in a USB stick to an external port?

I'm asking because whilst I mainly use a digital Smart TV, my wife likes the old way of recording by means of using a Freeview recorder that you can record your programmes onto then play them back - everything is built in. But the one we have now is rubbish (an "August" recorder, £29.99!) and is so difficult to operate and now shows no recordings whatsoever so it be going into the bin.
Our previous one was a "Techwood" which was excellent but bit the dust after about 10 years.

We don't have Sky, but we want to attach a Humax (if it's suitable) to our standard TV using Scart and TV aerial leads. If this machine is not compatible I will look at buying a new TV with built-in Freeview and hopefully that won't need an extra set top box to record with.

Thanks all
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Sorry to bring back this thread from the dead but I haven't seen any mention of playback using the Humax recorder. Does it have a built-in disc drive or do you plug in a USB stick to an external port?

I'm asking because whilst I mainly use a digital Smart TV, my wife likes the old way of recording by means of using a Freeview recorder that you can record your programmes onto then play them back - everything is built in. But the one we have now is rubbish (an "August" recorder, £29.99!) and is so difficult to operate and now shows no recordings whatsoever so it be going into the bin.
Our previous one was a "Techwood" which was excellent but bit the dust after about 10 years.

We don't have Sky, but we want to attach a Humax (if it's suitable) to our standard TV using Scart and TV aerial leads. If this machine is not compatible I will look at buying a new TV with built-in Freeview and hopefully that won't need an extra set top box to record with.

Thanks all
I'm not sure which of us you're asking, but I have a Humax PVR so perhaps I can tell you what I've found.

Yes, it has a recorder built in and two tuners, so you can record two programmes at the same time and, of course, play them back whenever you want.

Mine also has a USB socket, so you can save recordings to a USB stick. However, it is important to know that you can't then use a computer to view what's on the USB stick.

I think mine cost about £200 and is quite easy to use.

One thing to be careful of is the connection to your TV. Most modern boxes don't have SCART (they're unnecessarily big anyway), but have a much smaller (and better quality) HDMI socket instead. They have ordinary aerial sockets too. In my case the aerial output plugs into the Humax box, then another cable connects the box to the telly. So, actually, there are two connections from the box to the telly - aerial co-ax and HDMI.

It sounds like your TV doesn't have an HDMI socket, so you'd have to either buy a new one that does or look for a PVR which has a SCART socket. I'm not sure whether any still does, but perhaps someone else might be able to advise you. It may be possible to find some sort of cable with SCART and HDMI plugs on the opposite ends to convert one to the other, though I haven't heard of any.

Just as a point of interest, I find a recorder/PVR almost essential because for some reason all the channels seem to broadcast the best programmes worth watching all at the same time, so I can record two on my Humax box, two more on another (Panasonic) box and watch a fifth one(!) on my telly which includes Freeview. So the buggers can put on five programmes worth watching all at the same time. Then, of course, for the rest of the day it's all crap!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm not sure which of us you're asking, but I have a Humax PVR so perhaps I can tell you what I've found.

Yes, it has a recorder built in and two tuners, so you can record two programmes at the same time and, of course, play them back whenever you want.

Mine also has a USB socket, so you can save recordings to a USB stick. However, it is important to know that you can't then use a computer to view what's on the USB stick.

I think mine cost about £200 and is quite easy to use.

One thing to be careful of is the connection to your TV. Most modern boxes don't have SCART (they're unnecessarily big anyway), but have a much smaller (and better quality) HDMI socket instead. They have ordinary aerial sockets too. In my case the aerial output plugs into the Humax box, then another cable connects the box to the telly. So, actually, there are two connections from the box to the telly - aerial co-ax and HDMI.

It sounds like your TV doesn't have an HDMI socket, so you'd have to either buy a new one that does or look for a PVR which has a SCART socket. I'm not sure whether any still does, but perhaps someone else might be able to advise you. It may be possible to find some sort of cable with SCART and HDMI plugs on the opposite ends to convert one to the other, though I haven't heard of any.

Just as a point of interest, I find a recorder/PVR almost essential because for some reason all the channels seem to broadcast the best programmes worth watching all at the same time, so I can record two on my Humax box, two more on another (Panasonic) box and watch a fifth one(!) on my telly which includes Freeview. So the buggers can put on five programmes worth watching all at the same time. Then, of course, for the rest of the day it's all crap!
Thanks JBR, very useful info there
Yes it looks like I need an up to date TV with the HDMI cable. I wouldn't watch TV on a computer anyway, so it's a new TV ideally with Freeview built-in but otherwise the Humax box.
I'll look into it
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 12:32 PM

With regard to a TV with built-in Freeview, I don't know if there are any with a built-in recorder as well.

Not all Freeview boxes are also TV recorders.

As JBR said, they use a hard drive.

I use a Humax Freeview TV recorder. It sounds like it's the same as JBR's.

It's my second one, and is starting to play up a bit, so I will get another one. I think they they do one now that records three at the same time.

I also still have a video recorder, , although I haven't used it for a while.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-04-2019, 12:37 PM

It's really for my wife's use, I'm happy with my digital-only Smart TV in the other room.
She's not technically-minded so wants it simple without too many add-on gadgets and complicated instructions. I'll nip to Currys next week.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 12:42 PM

It's really for my wife's use, I'm happy with my digital-only Smart TV in the other room.
She's not technically-minded so wants it simple without too many add-on gadgets and complicated instructions. I'll nip to Currys next week.
For God's sake, don't actually buy one there! They're cowboys!

By all means, go and have a look, but then I'd buy one elsewhere at a place with good customer service and support.

'Google is your friend', but personally I have bought such things from John Lewis. They have a reputation for being a 'posh' shop, but in actual fact when it comes to popular brands (like Humax) they are competitive and also usually offer an additional year's warranty.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
For God's sake, don't actually buy one there! They're cowboys!

By all means, go and have a look, but then I'd buy one elsewhere at a place with good customer service and support.

'Google is your friend', but personally I have bought such things from John Lewis. They have a reputation for being a 'posh' shop, but in actual fact when it comes to popular brands (like Humax) they are competitive and also usually offer an additional year's warranty.
Yeah you're right mate.
They don't seem to know what they're talking about sometimes. They're only sales staff.
I usually go there to look at the device I'm buying to see the spec for myself and go to Amazon mainly.
We don't have a John Lewis here but I could always buy online from them.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Yeah you're right mate.
They don't seem to know what they're talking about sometimes. They're only sales staff.
I usually go there to look at the device I'm buying to see the spec for myself and go to Amazon mainly.
We don't have a John Lewis here but I could always buy online from them.
I buy stuff from John Lewis online, and I get it delivered next day to my local Waitrose, free. Totally without hassle. Saves waiting for deliveries to arrive...I just go the next day after 12 at a time that suits me.
If there's no Waitrose, I think they do the option of click and collect to other shops too.
The service is fantastic, I think.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Floydy, try richer sounds, I think there’s one in Hull, they usually give good advice, you could treat your mrs to a new tv, and she could use the catch up services, I also think that you can get scart to hdmi cables but not sure, of course google is your friend in these cases..
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 01:20 PM

I don't have anything to record anything on. Not a prolific telly basher, 'cept if there's a good film on or Endeavour.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top