Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 09:49 AM

Open Water Swimming.

That's what they now call swimming in lakes and rivers and, apparently, it's getting more popular. Some 65 years ago I taught myself to swim in a local lake among all the gunge that was in it. It's a wonder I didn't catch typhoid ! Where did you learn to swim ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Re: Open Water Swimming.

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
That's what they now call swimming in lakes and rivers and, apparently, it's getting more popular. Some 65 years ago I taught myself to swim in a local lake among all the gunge that was in it. It's a wonder I didn't catch typhoid ! Where did you learn to swim ?
I never leant to swim when at school or in Osmaston Lake where we used to go pottering about in the holidays . I blame my sister who took me to the swimming baths when I was little and nearly managed to drown me

When I wanted to take my son swimming I resolved to learn and got a book on swimming from the library then practised technique on the floor at home

I eventually manage to swim four lengths of the pool
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 10:08 AM

A large group of us kids went to the local baths every Saturday. The younger ones were taught by the older ones, under the watchful eye of the pool attendant.
We taught our children to swim.
We were never allowed to swim in open water, under threat of death
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 01:09 PM

In the Sea, We lived on Mull then and there wasn't much of anything out on the Hebrides Islands then lol.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 01:56 PM

I never learnt to swim at school but my husband was a good swimmer and he taught our children to swim before they had lessons at school.

I did make an effort to learn while we were abroad on holiday a few years ago but unfortunately I found it to be too painful for my back
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 02:24 PM

We had a family cottage for many years and I took lessons in the city pool and practiced in the lake on weekends. Hated taking a wave smack in the face just when surfacing to take a breath. I prefer swimming in cold water so a lake suits me better than the city pools which they seem to heat up a bit too much.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 02:28 PM

We were taken to a local swimming pool every week from school, open air, how I hated it, it was always freezing cold and often had beetly things floating around in it.

Here we have our own swimming pool which can be lovely in summer when the water is warm but I always test on the "ooh" system. One "ooh" for the feet, one "ooh" to the top of the legs, if I get a 3rd "ooh" at waist level then I'm out of there I'm a real cold water wimp.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Here we have our own swimming pool which can be lovely in summer when the water is warm but I always test on the "ooh" system. One "ooh" for the feet, one "ooh" to the top of the legs, if I get a 3rd "ooh" at waist level then I'm out of there I'm a real cold water wimp.
Oh, I can't edge into it - have to take a flying leap and get soaked all at once! But I love cold water once I'm in.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 02:35 PM

Annie I am the biggest wimp there is when it comes to cold water.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

21-06-2012, 02:50 PM

I guess it's because we grew up with it. My girls are the same way. When they started high school there was swim class and my 3 were first into the deep end. When their friends asked "how's the water?" they replied that it was fine - because it was about lake temperature - then the friends jumped in and did they ever complain!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top