Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 11:18 AM

Christmas Eve.

Do any members have traditions for Christmas Eve, my dad used to put the tree up when he came in from work.

My plan is to try and get everything done by lunchtime, so its relaxation all the way after that.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 11:23 AM

Re: Christmas Eve.

Not traditions really,I usually have most things done and dusted by xmas eve so like to spend the day relaxing watching movies on the telly and having a drink or three..I always tend to think the whole thing is a bit of an anti climax really!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 11:25 AM

I want to get the turkey cooked today, and I must catch up on housework and take the dogs out. Tree has its lights sorted - high up out of Nellies reach!
I've delivered most cards and pressies now, so that's done.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 12:07 PM

I do like to have everything done tree up and all the pre -cooking done but this year I have to work ( just for the afternoon ) so everythig is a bit rushed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 12:08 PM

Cook anything I can before the day, church later on. Set up to Skype Jordie later on too.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 12:12 PM

I usually have a few pints and exchange gifts on Christmas Eve with my two brothers, they'll be over at my local at 12.30 so I'm upstairs to have a shower and put on me Sunday best. Cheers Folks.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 01:28 PM

I did wonder if any exchanged and opened gifts on Christmas eve, Mind you the Sherry Mince pie and carrot for Santa and Rudolph. I did not mind the sup of sherry, nor the mince pie, but the bite out of the carrot was something i could do without.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 02:10 PM

I don't open presents on Christmas Eve but on the big day
my son and I open our Christmas presents and then after
12pm Michael opens his birthday presents. So we have since
he was born 36 years ago had half a day of Christmas and half
a day of birthday.
As for food I normally start early in the morning and not afternoon
as I like to put my feet up as I am normally sloshed by that
time after drinking hours early than I normally do whilst I am cooking.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Do any members have traditions for Christmas Eve, my dad used to put the tree up when he came in from work.

My plan is to try and get everything done by lunchtime, so its relaxation all the way after that.
My father was Polish, and that had a big part to play in our Christmas celebrations in the past. Christmas Eve was The Big Day, much more so than Christmas Day. There was to be no sign of Christmas in the house before Christmas Eve, so it meant it was a busy day, going to get a tree, decorate it, bake lots of stuff etc. Culminating in our Christmas meal that night, with presents under the tree afterwards.

But the only tradition I have now is one we also had then, from the English side of the family - listening to Kings College Choir doing the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols. I'll be listening again in about an hour and a half. Once I've heard that, my Christmas is just about done.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top