Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 11:30 AM

Re: Should we be retrained?

Originally Posted by DaveyJ ->
y have not changed since the days of the old Austin 7, so chances are your new Porche will accelerate to 70mph and stop in the distance required. Never get it anyway learning such stuff, oh I must measure 315ft to stop in.
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...lly-short.html

Road safety charity Brake and Transport Research Laboratory conducted a study to calculate how long it takes motorists to perceive, recognise and respond to emergency situations that require them to slam on the anchors.

After reviewing academic literature on average thinking times, it concluded that it takes 1.5 seconds for drivers to react to a heavy-braking scenario.

That's more than double the 0.67 seconds set out in the Highway Code, which has a significant impact on the overall stopping time between seeing the hazard and bringing the car to a halt.

The average distance it takes to come to a standstill is an extra seven metres at 30mph. With the average car measuring in at four metres long, that's almost an extra two car lengths.

In a 20mph zone, which are commonplace outside schools, the stopping distance is seven metres longer than those quoted in the DfT handbook.

If a vehicle is travelling at 40mph, the difference between the Highway Code figure and TRL's estimation is an 15 metres and at 70mph is 25 metres - that's the equivalent of more than six car lengths.

RAC spokesman Rod Dennis said new evidence should be used to review the Highway Code if necessary, with this study being an appropriate example.

'While the ability for cars to be able to brake more quickly has improved, our reaction times clearly haven’t,' he said.

'And arguably, our reaction times might even have got worse due to all the distractions that have made their way into the car environment – none more so than the smartphone that constantly demands our attention.

'Many drivers believe they are capable of doing far more at the wheel than they actually are, but the fact remains that driving is one of the most mentally demanding tasks any of us do and we shouldn’t forget that.'
The better the car, the worse the driver, perhaps ..... ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 11:36 AM

In NSW once you reach the age of 75 you need to have a medical review each year, when I turn 80 I will need a yearly test if I am to keep my truck licence. After 85 everybody has to have a two yearly test to keep a car licence.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 12:53 PM

I don’t mean an age related refresher course, I meant should every driver have a refresher course/lesson after say 5 years, regardless of when and what age they passed their test..?
DaveyJ
South Coast England
DaveyJ is male  DaveyJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...lly-short.html

The better the car, the worse the driver, perhaps ..... ?
P

Porche 911 GT2 RS

Breaking distance

62mph to zero.....................96 feet
Highway Code ...................270 feet (approx)
Your added Safty Code ....... .45 feet

Surplus distance ................141 feet

Does it matter, not in the slightest as if I am doing 80mph downhill to my local roundabout I know exactly how far it will take to stop, it is enbedded in my brain from a lifetime of learning and driving.

Stopping in a 20mph zone, who knows when a person is wasting critical forward looking vision on looking at a speedo. 20 mph zones should be banned they are the cause of accidents.
Speed does not kill, poor driving kills and most poor older drivers have been poor drivers all their lives.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 01:07 AM

P

Porche 911 GT2 RS

Breaking distance

62mph to zero.....................96 feet
Highway Code ...................270 feet (approx)
Your added Safty Code ....... .45 feet

Surplus distance ................141 feet

Does it matter, not in the slightest as if I am doing 80mph downhill to my local roundabout I know exactly how far it will take to stop, it is enbedded in my brain from a lifetime of learning and driving.

Stopping in a 20mph zone, who knows when a person is wasting critical forward looking vision on looking at a speedo. 20 mph zones should be banned they are the cause of accidents.
Speed does not kill, poor driving kills and most poor older drivers have been poor drivers all their lives.
Feet? What do you drive? a model T Ford? Didn't Britain go metric in the 1960s? If people can't adjust their brain to the metric system after nearly 60 years then how are they going to be expected to cope with improving their driving skills?
DaveyJ
South Coast England
DaveyJ is male  DaveyJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Feet? What do you drive? a model T Ford? Didn't Britain go metric in the 1960s? If people can't adjust their brain to the metric system after nearly 60 years then how are they going to be expected to cope with improving their driving skills?
What a strange post. So when shoe sizes changed from UK sizes to EU sizes you had to retrain how to walk again.:-

End of the day imperial or metric are totally irrelevant they are just numbers which could have been written by Moses on a slab of stone and matter not. What matters is that which is stored in a persons brain which is a learned natural function from years of experience and learning.
Anybody as I posted who considers they need retraining must have serious defective driving problems.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 07:46 PM

What a strange post. So when shoe sizes changed from UK sizes to EU sizes you had to retrain how to walk again.:-

End of the day imperial or metric are totally irrelevant they are just numbers which could have been written by Moses on a slab of stone and matter not. What matters is that which is stored in a persons brain which is a learned natural function from years of experience and learning.
Anybody as I posted who considers they need retraining must have serious defective driving problems.
You do seem to have a rather high opinion of yourself, considering that your previous post is full of spelling and arithmetical mistakes .....

Surely every "Porche" owner can spell "Porsche" - it's on the badge, if that helps:

DaveyJ
South Coast England

22-04-2019, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
You do seem to have a rather high opinion of yourself, considering that your previous post is full of spelling and arithmetical mistakes .....

Surely every "Porche" owner can spell "Porsche" - it's on the badge, if that helps:

Totally irrelevant to driving ability, no wonder you are so negative in respect of your own driving ability.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

22-04-2019, 08:46 PM

Totally irrelevant to driving ability, no wonder you are so negative in respect of your own driving ability.
So where's this local roundabout that you drive towards at 80mph - I'd like to avoid it .....

DaveyJ
South Coast England

23-04-2019, 10:05 AM

Problem is the van driver failed to even see the roundabout, most like a gas-fitter in a rush to get home.
However, 80mph is a bit sluggish when the commuters are coming home from work on our duel carriageway, such low speeds normally result in a waiting queue behind in overtaking mode. That I do not mind as I know they are the drivers with excellent driving skills and not old dodderers lacking driving skills.
However, I admit that on the very tight bends when both cars are alongside each other holding line and cornering fast, the centrifugal forces pushing the body sideways are more noticeable.
Really driving at 100mph is armchair driving and relaxing and I would do it more often if legal....Smile

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top