Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 06:24 PM

Re: Modern Cars.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I always remember the points being the biggest PITA along with the condenser.
One of my cars, with a Ford V6 Essex engine, was upgraded to electronic ignition, Piranha I recall was the trade name and quite reasonable to buy and have installed. This avoided having points as they were replaced by an electronic beam and if I recall the condenser was obsolete too. (The memory fades, this was back in 1973!) Far better performance as what used to be the 'points gap' was always exactly right. I guess that was the early start of 'electronic ignition' we now have in the modern car. The next car I had in 1984, the same make but with a later V6 Cologne engine had the electronic ignition as standard, a small silver-coloured box this time, again no points so no problems.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I hate the way we are ripped off by garages these days. Personally, if my car is running OK, I don't have it serviced. A service is basically an oil/filter change and can cost £300 or more. I never serviced my last car in the twelve years I had it, just had repairs done if needed.

Really, all a service is, is a piece of paper.
Same here Longdogs. I have had a 59 reg Fiat Panda for almost 9 years and change the oil and filter myself. All it gets is the MOT. The batteries seem to last longer as well.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
At least in those days, which I too remember, there was the choice to actually do those tasks. Now none of this can be done by the owner so the choice is one of pay the extortionate £100 hourly rates charged by main dealer garages or not have a car. I sometimes wonder if these garages know the weekly State Pension is £155 meaning a recent quote for changing the timing belt on my VW Golf (at only 17,000 miles) costing £479 is three weeks pension! Not three weeks' 'pocket money' but what any pensioner on basic State Pension has on which to live in total.
That possibly is why people buy Asian cars rather than European, from memory my Mitsubishi Starwagon timing belt was changed at 100000km. The two cars since then have chain timing belts (another Mitsubishi and an Isuzu)

The after sales service for most European cars out here is appalling, they just don't sell enough. It is hardly surprising the best selling make is Toyota
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That possibly is why people buy Asian cars rather than European, from memory my Mitsubishi Starwagon timing belt was changed at 100000km. The two cars since then have chain timing belts (another Mitsubishi and an Isuzu)

The after sales service for most European cars out here is appalling, they just don't sell enough. It is hardly surprising the best selling make is Toyota
The maximum mileage requirement for a change of cam belt at 140,000 on my 2014 VW Golf diesel I can understand but with the car having covered only 17,000 miles from new that did not apply. However, then came the next ‘frightener’ – OR five years as “the cam belt is ‘perishable’, if it breaks it can do a lot of expensive damage to the engine”!

They’ve got you whichever way, added to that is the information that “while stripping it all down to replace the cam belt the tensioners and water pump may as well be changed too, because if and when they need changing it will mean paying almost the same amount again”!

Volkswagen service advice:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/...cambelt-change

Just look at these main dealer costs:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/...rice-servicing
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 10:56 AM

OOH nothing like getting hold of "feeler" gauges and selecting the right one for the correct points gap.Still got an old set somewhere. Found them but well rusted up,not used for years
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
OOH nothing like getting hold of "feeler" gauges and selecting the right one for the correct points gap.Still got an old set somewhere. Found them but well rusted up,not used for years
The old man and I copied him,would rip the striker part off a box of swan Vesta matches and use that as a feeler gauge.I'm talking Ford Pops here.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
The old man and I copied him,would rip the striker part off a box of swan Vesta matches and use that as a feeler gauge.I'm talking Ford Pops here.
Anyone remember the old Fords whose windscreen wipers slowed down when you pressed accelerator?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Anyone remember the old Fords whose windscreen wipers slowed down when you pressed accelerator?
yes I had one a Ford Anglia 100e year 1954. Reg 842CMU
Baz46

10-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I still have a set of feeler gauges, all nicely oiled to keep from rusting. They are needed for checking the sparking plug gap in the lawn mower.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 02:25 PM

A modern car isn't difficult to maintain than any other car, you take it to a garage and they will sort any larger maintenance out. As long you check the oil, tyres and windscreen wash that's all you basically need to do.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top