Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Frankie1944
Herts uk
Frankie1944 is female  Frankie1944 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 06:53 AM

Help needed with Browser

Google Chrome will no longer open on my Windows 7 desktop. Have tried deleting and downloading again, It was my default browser but have had to go back to IE 11. I get messages to update my browser but cant remember how to. Willing to try a different browser if need be. Can somebody help please.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 07:00 AM

Re: Help needed with Browser

Try Firefox, they don't spy on you as much as Google. I have been using Firefox since it was Netscape and it has never let me down. Good selection of addons too.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Firefox does work on Windows 7 but then again, Chrome should still work too. Both Firefox 69 and Chrome 77 are installed on a laptop I have running on Windows 7 64-bit.

If you'd prefer to keep using Chrome, just a couple of points that could be considered. When Chrome is uninstalled and reinstalled, the un-installation procedure may not remove all Chrome files. The Profiles folder will be left behind if you don't choose to, 'Also delete your browsing data'. Did you choose that option?

Another thing that might work is to 'reset' rather than uninstall/reinstall Chrome. This resets the browser to how it was before any extensions or other customizations were made but also more or less gives a new Profiles folder and a fresh start.

If you don't want to be bothered with all that, install Firefox as Bruce suggested.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie1944 ->
Google Chrome will no longer open on my Windows 7 desktop. Have tried deleting and downloading again, It was my default browser but have had to go back to IE 11. I get messages to update my browser but cant remember how to. Willing to try a different browser if need be. Can somebody help please.
I don't know about IE but if there's some sort of menu with a "Help" button to click, then "About" you should (hopefully) see which version you are running and an update option. That's the way it is with Chrome.

And yes, Firefox is a good option (normally). I used it for years but then had a problem (I can't remember what) so switched to Chrome.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 11:37 AM

I agree with others here. I have both Chrome and Firefox installed.
I prefer to use Chrome routinely, but if anything should go wrong which precludes efficient use of Chrome, I'd happily use Firefox.

Certainly, I wouldn't touch the Microsoft products: Edge and Internet Explorer, although of course Edge is installed in my Windows 10 and cannot be removed!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 12:06 PM

Check your anti virus.....

Anti-Virus and Firewall Settings
Depending on these settings, you may not be able to open Google Chrome at all. Try turning off your firewall and anti-virus programs and restarting Google Chrome. If the browser works, create an exception in your settings to allow Google Chrome to run, then re-enable the programs. Google states that users have reported Spyware Doctor, Comodo Firewall and McAfee Enterprise may conflict with Google Chrome.
Frankie1944
Herts uk
Frankie1944 is female  Frankie1944 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your help, downloaded firefox yesterday but didn't have a lot of time to check everything. Switched on desktop[ this morning to have another look at it and just a blank screen, Grrrrr. So will have to wait until I can get one of the family to get down to check al the plugs etc.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 04:04 PM

When windows stop W7 support early next year in the form of security updates etc, you will have to upgrade to W10 and the default browser for W10 is Edge. I expected it to be clunky and restrictive but I was pleasantly surprised and now use it for everything because I've yet to find anything that its not compatible with.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
When windows stop W7 support early next year in the form of security updates etc, you will have to upgrade to W10 and the default browser for W10 is Edge. I expected it to be clunky and restrictive but I was pleasantly surprised and now use it for everything because I've yet to find anything that its not compatible with.
I'm not sure that anybody is obliged to 'upgrade' to W10.
Frankie1944
Herts uk

22-10-2019, 07:24 AM

I had tried to upgrade earlier to W10 which I have on the laptop and for some reason and was unable to do so, can't remember why now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top