Join for free
Page 3 of 35 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 12:25 PM

Re: Same Sex Marriages.

Marriage isn't on the way out, there are many people getting married every day.
Marriage is so important to children, how would you like to go through life knowing you are classed as born out of wedlock.
Bruce is right the certificate is very important, when it comes to money matters on a break up or death, once again if children are involved.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 12:27 PM

That's a bit old-fashioned Wrinkly - that stigma isn't applied now to children born outside marriage.

That piece of paper has left me in a lot of debt as my husband died owing thousands and thousands of pounds and, although I've been told you can't inherit someone else's debt, trust me, as his name is on this house, the sale of the house can be forced to cover his debts. As my solicitor said: it's a shame the divorce hadn't been finalised before he died'. That bit of paper can also go against you.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

19-05-2013, 01:26 PM

I agree with Wrinkly - marriage is not on the way out globally - may be in UK - but marriage is still popular throughout the world and in places like Japan and China it is so popular that they do multiple marriage ceremonies covering dozens of couples - and guess what even in the far east the white long wedding dress is still favored by the bride!

as I said marriage may be on the way out in Uk but perhaps UK is on its way out too!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 01:43 PM

Karen that stigma is not used so much as it used to be, but if you would have been out of wedlock, you might think differently.
I know someone who was born out of wedlock, and when asked her fathers name, she can't give one, and she says it hurts.
And kids can being very hurtful when they find out.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Ooh, not knowing who your father is, that's a different matter entirely Wrinkly and one that, although I haven't experienced it, I can imagine how that would feel.

I may not like much about our society or the people in it but the stigma given to children for what their parents did is one that I'm proud is in the past.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

19-05-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->

as I said marriage may be on the way out in Uk but perhaps UK is on its way out too!
I really want to argue against that but sadly, I don't much like the way the UK is now
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

19-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Karen I had to live with my mum and dad having different surnames to mine, dad was my stepdad, and he was a wonderful man.
Kids can be cruel!
This picture was taken a few years back, before he passed away.

] Dad and I [/url]
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

19-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I really want to argue against that but sadly, I don't much like the way the UK is now
a friend from UK advised me if I ever had the chance to watch a bbc drama called the Village which was set in WW1 I think and would make one weep from the changes in UK?

which remembers me I have a book about the village of Weaverham in Cheshire called Village of Moonbeams by George Moss a local farmer who describes the village life pre-war II
must read it again soon
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

19-05-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Karen I had to live with my mum and dad having different surnames to mine, dad was my stepdad, and he was a wonderful man.
Kids can be cruel!
This picture was taken a few years back, before he passed away.
It's lovely that you can put your arm around him and both look very comfortable about it. I understand about the different surnames but when I married for the second time, I kept my own name for two reasons: 1 - it's my name and taking someone else's (as I did the first time) felt like a bit of me was taken away and 2 - I wouldn't have my children having a different name to me (granted they had their dad's name but I changed all three names by Deed Poll to my birth name) so there are ways around that particular hurdle.

I'm so glad you and your stepfather got on so well
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->

I don't think marriage is on its way out - from an article I read recently, it is more popular than ever. So much so that many people are getting married 3 or 4 times in their lifetimes

Page 3 of 35 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top