Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Sperm Doners Made Response for Child Support.

I started this thread rather than including my post with the Gay Marriages thread, but I think what has happened and is starting to happen is relevant to the Same Sex Marriages thread.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hts-child.html

And this is not just happening in the USA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7125895.stm

What opinions are there - do you think this is fair and just?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Re: Sperm Doners Made Response for Child Support.

It doesn't seem very fair to me and could put off men from helping in this way. Does it cover women donating eggs too ?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 03:29 PM

I think it is totally unjust. The two women made the decision to have the child. It is their responsibility to support it. If they cannot, then the state's safety net should step in. As Julie says, it would make men very wary of helping out in this way and childless couples would suffer.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 09:16 PM

Absolutely unfair - is the law going to make all donors responsible in some way? I am really (well, almost) speechless about this. There are two parents responsible for the child and it's up to them to provide for that child, not some bloke that was just a donor. If I were him, I would fight that tooth and nail.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 04:47 AM

Here's another one
13 years ago Mark Langridge helped a lesbian couple have a family. Now it's costing him £26 a week

A gay man from Essex who donated his sperm to enable a lesbian couple to have two children, but who was never named on their birth certificate and had no role in their upbringing, is being forced by the Child Support Agency to pay for their support – 13 years after the first child was born.

Mark Langridge, who has been with his partner for 16 years (and in a civil partnership for the last five), has called on the government to review the law after the CSA suddenly demanded that he start paying £26 a week for two children he technically fathered over a decade ago.

The mother had no relationship with this man, didn't share his bed and he owes her nothing imo, he did the couple a good turn and the 'other mother' who agreed to the conception and has helped raise the child should be held responsible
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 04:54 AM

It's not surprising to me in the least that this sort of problem is cropping up and unless the legal implications of same sex relationships in regards to children are fine tuned there're going to be worse down the line.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by maggis ->
It's not surprising to me in the least that this sort of problem is cropping up and unless the legal implications of same sex relationships in regards to children are fine tuned there're going to be worse down the line.
I agree entirely with you, there has to be some legal clarification.
But the point is really, why should the state pick up the tab for the child, someone has to pay, I can't really see the difference between a couple sleeping together for a night, and ending up with a child.
Someone has to be responsible, it shouldn't finish up with the rest of society, paying for someone else's child.
But I can also see the donors rights coming into this, should he have custody at times?
What a ruddy mess, and the end of the day as per usual, it is the child that will suffer.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia

04-06-2013, 05:31 AM

What about children whose single mums' haven't put the fathers name on the birth certificate for any of their children, or use a false name so they can't be traced in order to maximise their benefits while actually living with a bloke, state pays for them. ( and it does happen here too)
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 05:41 AM

That is why I say we should have a national DNA base, then no one can get away with it.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 08:19 AM

Or simply refuse the birth certificate until the father's/2nd parent name is entered - that would cause so many problems for the parent(s) they'd soon fill it in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top