Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 04:42 PM

Re: Baby Boomers Should Take Less

Hang on there a mo'. You can't blame Baby Boomers for insane government policies that dole out money to people who think that unemployment is a lifestyle choice - that's a seperate issue.

I feel lucky to be a 'Baby boomer' and enjoyed a good standard of living - AND - I've paid plenty for it too. Mortgages weren't always so cheap, inflation was through the roof at times and I had to pay 40% tax on some of my earnings. BUT, I did pay my tax and my N.I. and I didn't rely on 'benefits' and I paid for my children to go to Uni. and what happens now??

We get people saying we should get nothing back for our hard work, our contributions, our financial prudence etc....
They can go boil their heads. Penalise the people who chose to sit on their backsides and live off benefits, but give the rest of us hard working, honest people something in return.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Who damn well lose if we take benefits off baby boomers, the children of course.
But having said that folks who are out of work should spend their time looking for a job, but an idea I had was to make them work for their benifits, by working in the community.
But we should make sure they have housing and food and clothes.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 05:56 PM

They probably have indeed been a lucky generation, and consciences will have been eased in that those with kids will be leaving a nest egg, likewise the kids are at ease with it as they will be inheriting one. Imo.
The flip side of course is all those folk who died in WW2 to create the vacuum the baby boomers filled, homage should be paid to these souls.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
They probably have indeed been a lucky generation, and consciences will have been eased in that those with kids will be leaving a nest egg, likewise the kids are at ease with it as they will be inheriting one. Imo.
The flip side of course is all those folk who died in WW2 to create the vacuum the baby boomers filled, homage should be paid to these souls.
I'm not sure what is meant by "consciences will have been eased etc..." Can you explain a bit further please Spitfire? As for those who died in WWII creating a vacuum that baby boomers filled. Those baby boomers had to be born in the first place so it would take some time for them to come of age to begin to fill the vacuum left by those who died. I'ts going off topic, but I think I need to say it - immigrants helped a great deal to fill the labour vacuum after WWII. In the 50's the government filled gaps in the labour market with a lot of West Indian immigrants. There were not enough workers to be able to run the transport systems, etc. The baby boomers came onto the labour force much later.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I'm not sure what is meant by "consciences will have been eased etc..." Can you explain a bit further please Spitfire? As for those who died in WWII creating a vacuum that baby boomers filled. Those baby boomers had to be born in the first place so it would take some time for them to come of age to begin to fill the vacuum left by those who died. I'ts going off topic, but I think I need to say it - immigrants helped a great deal to fill the labour vacuum after WWII. In the 50's the government filled gaps in the labour market with a lot of West Indian immigrants. There were not enough workers to be able to run the transport systems, etc. The baby boomers came onto the labour force much later.
ahh exact timings, rationing finished circa 1954, Enoch Powell's Rivers of Blood speech late 60s, having more than one slice of cake can pring ones conscience.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 07:56 AM

I read this online a while ago and thought it apt:

Presumably the aim here is to stoke resentment in younger workers towards their older counterparts' 'lavish' pension pots, and to provide an easy target, whilst deflecting attention from the real culprits of hobbled pensions (20 years of mismanagement and profit skimming courtesy of the bloated financial sector).

One can hope this viciously backfires and instead unites everyone in disgust for our clueless political class.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top