Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 11:05 AM

"Marine A" sentence

So the marine who murdered an injured Afghani has been sentenced to a minimum ten years (although life sentence in theory). I have been intrigued by some of the reaction to this. Do you think this is lenient or harsh?
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Re: "Marine A" sentence

I know this will probally go against what eveyone else thinks but I think its harsh , none of us know what these lads go through out there and how unhinged it leaves them even if its a split second of unhinged ,,, if he had had a good nights sleep a good meal and was clean , woken up in his bed at home and gone to work that morning I sure he would never of done this, but he didnt he was under the stress of knowing any moment now one of those people could of killed him and his friends ,,, there should of been no case its the goverment who should be on trail ,,,, But they want to be seen to do the right thing to the rest of the world and buggar there own brave soilders
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 11:20 AM

No - not sure this is harsh .... What message does it send out to be lenient.
He is trained, he should know better - he showed himself to be no better than a thug ......
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
No - not sure this is harsh .... What message does it send out to be lenient.
He is trained, he should know better - he showed himself to be no better than a thug ......
That's my feeling, too. He essentially murdered a totally defenceless man, and he KNEW it was wrong, given what he said on the recordings. I don't think ten years is enough for murder, but at least he has been discharged from the army in disgrace.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

07-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
I know this will probally go against what eveyone else thinks but I think its harsh , none of us know what these lads go through out there and how unhinged it leaves them even if its a split second of unhinged ,,, if he had had a good nights sleep a good meal and was clean , woken up in his bed at home and gone to work that morning I sure he would never of done this, but he didnt he was under the stress of knowing any moment now one of those people could of killed him and his friends ,,, there should of been no case its the goverment who should be on trail ,,,, But they want to be seen to do the right thing to the rest of the world and buggar there own brave soilders
Totally agree re the government being on trial.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Murder of an injured defenceless man.
No the sentence is not too harsh.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
I'm in agreement with you here.
They are fighting people with no conscience anyway, who kill indiscriminately...even their own people.
We are sacking our full time soldiers and taking on Territorial type soldiers and sending them out and it will be worse, because they are not professionals.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
That's my feeling, too. He essentially murdered a totally defenceless man, and he KNEW it was wrong, given what he said on the recordings. I don't think ten years is enough for murder, but at least he has been discharged from the army in disgrace.
I don't know much about this case but wasn't that defenceless man and his comrade shooting at the Marines only a few minutes before?

I can't judge the man as I've never been in that situation but I'm pretty sure that if someone was shooting at me and I had the means to stop them, I would. Who knows how we'd all react in that situation with the adrenaline pumping like crazy.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 12:15 PM

Its a point Kal - but if you 'take a prisoner' you take a prisoner ....
We abhored this sort of thing in WW2 by the enemy - no different now ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 12:15 PM

I think we have to be better than the others, we manage that normally even in war, what he did makes it even more dangerous for our men and women in combat zones.

The sentence was correct I think but I do not agree with naming him, that makes him and his family a target and that is no more fair than what he did.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top