Join for free
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 > Last »
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 03:31 PM

Faith Schools: Time to scrap them?

The furore about the Birmingham schools is just more evidence - if anymore was needed - that faith schools are a divisive issue. As a tax payer, I really resent public money being spent on promoting religion. Not because I am an atheist - which I am - but because anything which helps to sow division rather than understanding is fundamentally wrong. And anything that is anti-science and anti-rational thinking is dangerous. Adults can choose whatever they believe, but its not the state's place to encourage 'faith'.

I've never understood why we have to subsidise Catholic and CofE education, so its no wonder every other faith wants its share of the pie. The simple answer is to scrap the lot; religion should be entirely separate from the state.

I have no problem with comparative religion being taught so kids understand the issues and why its played such a huge role in history. But to have religion influence every aspect of education is plain wrong, and is a storing up endless problems in people's later lives.

It worries me that all our politicians continue to adopt such a cowardly approach to religion.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 03:41 PM

Re: Faith Schools: Time to scrap them?

So agree with this, teach religion in the home - far enough. No need for it in schools. Absolute waste of time and money. All schools should be the same, a learning ground for adult life and work ethics. Home making is also important in my book.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by manasota ->
The furore about the Birmingham schools is just more evidence - if anymore was needed - that faith schools are a divisive issue. As a tax payer, I really resent public money being spent on promoting religion. Not because I am an atheist - which I am - but because anything which helps to sow division rather than understanding is fundamentally wrong. And anything that is anti-science and anti-rational thinking is dangerous. Adults can choose whatever they believe, but its not the state's place to encourage 'faith'.

I've never understood why we have to subsidise Catholic and CofE education, so its no wonder every other faith wants its share of the pie. The simple answer is to scrap the lot; religion should be entirely separate from the state.

I have no problem with comparative religion being taught so kids understand the issues and why its played such a huge role in history. But to have religion influence every aspect of education is plain wrong, and is a storing up endless problems in people's later lives.

It worries me that all our politicians continue to adopt such a cowardly approach to religion.
Well put Manasota.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 03:58 PM

I agree religions should not be taught in school however I would like to see everyone taught about religions (all religions) so when they are older they can make an informed decision about what feels right to them and hopefully not end up fearing what they don't understand.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree religions should not be taught in school however I would like to see everyone taught about religions (all religions) so when they are older they can make an informed decision about what feels right to them and hopefully not end up fearing what they don't understand.
As an adult you can find whatever it is you are looking for by testing and researching religions.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
As an adult you can find whatever it is you are looking for by testing and researching religions.
That's very true but I would like to see children from strict religious homes having a chance to see they can be non believers or follow what ever religion they wish, some by the time they are adult are so cowed by their parents they would not have the same chance as others to make choices.
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 04:04 PM

Yes. That's why comparative religion should be taught either as part of History, or even as a separate subject.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-06-2014, 04:08 PM

That's very true but I would like to see children from strict religious homes having a chance to see they can be non believers or follow what ever religion they wish, some by the time they are adult are so cowed by their parents they would not have the same chance as others to make choices.
Yes its a fair point ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by manasota ->
Yes. That's why comparative religion should be taught either as part of History, or even as a separate subject.
Completely agree they do that at our local school I am not sure it may already be part of the national curriculum ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 04:38 PM

I agree too Simon, religion has no place in schools other than being taught as a general topic which covers all religions.

If parents want their children to be bought up in a particular faith they can teach them at home and in an appropriate place of worship.

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top