Join for free
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 05:48 PM

Scottish Referendum.

Just over a couple of months until Scotland gets to vote on independence from the United Kingdom.

A possible major change to the UK, so much has been said by both sides, and no doubt things will intensify over the next few weeks.

If Scotland separates, im sure in time things will stabilize on both sides of the border, but do we really understand all the implications.

The Labour party would lose a lot of seats, there is talk of the Islands claiming they would stay with the UK and the knock on effect of keeping their oil, The main partys are in my opinion shooting themselves in the foot and turning moderate Scottish voters against them into a yes vote

If the yes votes win, should the rest of the UK then be allowed to decide if Scotland is allowed a common currency, its a can of worms and a major event looming over us all.

Im confused, and i dont have a vote, am i alone ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 07:09 PM

Re: Scottish Referendum.

Nom I don't of course have a say in the proceedings but I would be very sad to see the Scots leave us

I think the 'parts' that make up the UK compliment each other and we the remaining 'parts' would be diminished without them ..
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 07:28 PM

I honestly don't think Salmond has thought it through properly, it would be a disaster for Scotland.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 07:28 PM

I'm confused, too, Nom. It seems to me that no-one really knows what a yes vote would bring and too many issues are totally unresolved. I doubt any of the politicians have thought it through.
I'm fairly confident that Scotland will sensibly vote no, though...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 07:29 PM

Snap, Jimmy!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 07:32 PM

I do worry that the whole referendum has been engineered f o r the aggrandizement of Salmond and the SNP rather t h an the benefit of the population. Personally I think a yes vote would be a tragedy for all of us, whichever side of the border we are on...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 07:56 PM

OK, here's my view....
I think that it's a bit of a non-event. I don't think that most people want independance. What they want is 'Devo Max' - ie responsibility for everything except defence and foreign policy. Of course, this is not on offer - at least not on the ballot paper. What is being offered is a straight in / out and almost certainly the majority will want to stay in the UK.
However, to help ensure this happens, the Scots are being offered what effectively amounts to Devo Max, so in or out, they get what they really wanted. Scotland will continue to use the pound stirling, but will have limited tax raising powers and the UK will keep the use of Faslane.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 08:08 PM

Firstly I have to say this cannot be a fair debate as I think there just aren't enough Scots on this Site to put in THEIR tuppence worth,

My view is no matter what the outcome ,be it yay or nay,We Scots will pull together and accept the majority decision..We WILL do what's right for Our Country,trust Us
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 08:19 PM

If the answer is yes I will have to take my passport to go to Rutherglen, and I may have to change my money if they can't have the pound.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Since I'm one of those that live as far away from Scotland as its possible to be and still remain in the Uk, I'm all in favour of Scotland having its independence, once that happens the Welsh too will want a referendum and the UK will cease to exist as an amalgam of nations.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top