Join for free
Page 3 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 06:40 PM

Re: Judy Finnegan

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Judy was asked an opinion on a TV show some seem to be suggesting she should have no opinion or kept quiet. Well not much of a show if they all did that. We all here say everyone is entitled to their opinion (I hope we do) and that is all she has given. Does she have no right to an opinion ?
She does, as we are doing but, for someone in the 'spotlight' she should know by now to choose her words carefully, she has not helped the rape victims cause and for what .......
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Bag a footballer? They must be desperate. Especially as he had a known partner. No matter what the drunken, out of her face, female did, she should not have gone there. You have to be responsible for your own actions. Especially in a hotel room you've chosen to go to.

Any female who has been raped has to live with this for the rest of her life. I've not been raped, but have been abused. To go to a hotel room, willingly,even if out of your face, was so ridiculous. To make a claim afterwards made a farce of it because she must have been out of her face. That's where she went wrong. Poor, silly girl.
And because she was out of her face she couldn't know what she was doing - would she have acted the same, irresponsibly, had she been stone, cold sober, probably not. She was drunk she perhaps shouldn't have been, she went back with him, she perhaps shouldn't have, neither of these make it right for a man to think he can just go ahead and have sex when he knows she can't resist - because she's drunk!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
What I'd say is, no matter what you've had to drink, for god sake don't go back to a well known footballer's hotel room!! Simple as that girl!!
I don't know anything about this case or what was said by JF but I do know I would not put myself in a vulnerable position with someone who was not my partner/boyfriend particularly if I had been drinking

There is another current thread about 'first groups you went to see' and I mentioned having been invited backstage and then to a groups hotel late at night.
It was probably all very innocent but I didn't go because my common sense told me it was best not too.
I think we all have a responsibility to use our common sense to make choices with a view to staying safe.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't know anything about this case or what was said by JF but I do know I would not put myself in a vulnerable position with someone who was not my partner/boyfriend particularly if I had been drinking

There is another current thread about first groups you went to see and I mentioned having been invited backstage. I was then invited to the groups hotel late at night.
It was probably all very innocent but I didn't go because my common sense told me it was best not too
I think we all have a responsibility to use our common sense to make choices with a view to staying safe.
That's fine if you've got 'common sense' - not every one has .....
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Very true!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I don't see why everyone can't have a bit of common sense Patsy, it should come before self gratification .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

19-10-2014, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't see why everyone can't have a bit of common sense Patsy, it should come before self gratification .
I have known many adults that lack common sense without the excuse of alcohol ........
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Lets face it most of the footballers these days have gone over side. Whats a partner of theirs to do, throw a hissy fit and lose all the benefits of being his partner with the obscene amounts of money they earn. OR just suck it up and keep whacking the plastic.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I also think she talked a lot of sense. I do believe some people act extremely outraged at such remarks because they think it puts them on a higher pedestal. As far as I'm concerned the man has paid his debt to society by doing his time and he should be allowed to go back to his job.
b.i.b. I hope you are not includng me here Alan - and certainly, I hope, not the law of this land or Rape Crisis. Rape is rape and it is an outrageous and violent crime and punishable as such. It is not simply an opinion.
Do you not think that this man has a duty as a public figure - one who as a professional footballer is expected to behave appropriately on the field and off. (I know a lot don't) but IMO footballers are seen as role models for many young men who would wish to emulate them - it goes with the territory IMO. I would not deny him a job, but I do think serious questions should (and are) currently being asked about his suitability as an ambassador for his sport. The game of football don't owe him a job - maybe he should find something else to do.

This extract from the Institute of Sports, Business and Society (Germany)

"Superstars can be more effective role models for children and teenagers than their own families
70% of so-called “die-hard fans” consider their favourite football player to be a positive role model for society and more than 60% of teenage fans perceive their favourite player as a role model for themselves. 57% of teenage fans consciously try to emulate the behaviour of their favourite player; 52% of teenage fans are motivated by their favourite player to give one’s best in all areas of life, and 40% to engage in sports more often. 40% of all respondents who play or used to play football say that they began to play football, among other reasons, because of football-stars. Furthermore, there are considerable differences amongst the 20 most popular players regarding their function as role models. For example, Cacau (VfB Stuttgart) and Raúl (FC Schalke 04) are the two players most considered to be good role models for society by their own fans, although this finding generally applies to almost all players. Franck Ribéry (FC Bayern Munich) motivates his fans more than other players to give one’s best in all areas of life, while the fans of Ivica Olic and Mario Gomez (both from FC Bayern Munich) in particular try to imitate their behaviour and work ethic."
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 07:13 PM

I think if people had listened to what she said properly we could be having a proper conversation about rape. There are degrees IMO, and that doesn't mean anyone deserves it or it isn't all serious. But being dragged off a footpath with a knife to your throat has to be worse than being too drunk to remember what you are doing.

Page 3 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top