Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2015, 02:51 PM

Re: The EU referendum: YES to remaining in the EU thread.

A yes from me.
To leave would be a catastrophic move with far more downside than upside.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2015, 03:27 PM

What clever forum management/moderation to set up two threads simultaneously, rather than have disagreements and messy arguements within a single thread!

I cannot see the arguments in favour of one of the world's leading economies leaving the world's largest trading group. We would be left still trading with the EU, still bound by their trading rules but unable to influence them.

I also feel people need to be very clear over the differences between the EU in Strasbourg/Brussels and the European Court of Justice in The Hague.

Anyway, fwiw, I'll be voting Yes when the referendum comes around
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Why would they lose their jobs ,Can you give some explanation to this comment please.
I can tell you, as the father of one that works in the EU I have been told her job would definitely go.
Do you think the EU companies will employ UK folks, if we are out the EU, I think they will get a directive from the EU not to employ UK citizens, but to employ their own.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I can tell you, as the father of one that works in the EU I have been told her job would definitely go.
Do you think the EU companies will employ UK folks, if we are out the EU, I think they will get a directive from the EU not to employ UK citizens, but to employ their own.
That rather assumes your daughter is employed because she is British or part of the EU and not on merit, personally I have more faith in human kind than that.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2015, 05:30 PM

That is a very simplistic view Julie. It is more likely that if Britain comes out of the EU then quite simply the job Wrinkly's daughter is employed to do will no longer exist and even if it does the complications of work permits, health care etc will make it too difficult and too expensive for employers to bother. Regarding immigration very little will change, it won't stop human trafficking, it won't stop people trying to get into the UK. Many things needed in the UK from components for cars, machines, etc etc will become extremely expensive. I very much doubt there will be more jobs because many more companies will simply close down as they will be unable to afford the high wages that will be demanded. Doctors and nurses could also be in short supply, many EU doctors and nurses work in the UK and many more do locum work there at weekends. There will be many, many changes if the UK comes out of the EU but very few of them will be good ones.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2015, 05:39 PM

A resounding Yes from me!
3.5m British jobs are directly linked to British membership of the single market. The Confederation of British Industry found overwhelming support for Britain to stay in the EU: 78% wanted to stay in versus 10% who wanted out.

The UK accounts for less than 1% of the world’s population and less that 3% of global income. By anyone’s reckoning that’s a very small amount and if we’re not in the EU we’re going to find it increasingly hard to get our voice heard and to matter in any significant way. We are already dismissed by many as past our sell by date and a Chinese newspaper dismissed us as irrelevant in the modern trading world!

The single market gives British business access to the entire EU with its 500m customers. Free trade with these countries is what boosts wealth. If we came out we would certainly compromise our access to these markets.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That rather assumes your daughter is employed because she is British or part of the EU and not on merit, personally I have more faith in human kind than that.
She was indeed employed because she can do the work required, she had to get through many exams with over a 1000 applicants, with 4 places available.
A job she loves and worked at for nearly 30 years, however the British part of the job will be over if we are out, but she would move to somewhere like Japan or somewhere similar out the EU.
Pretty certain the EU will give a directive to their members to employ EU members workers as and when jobs are available.
Vote Yes.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I think if anyone is good at their job no employer would get rid of them ..in fact . theirs probably rules against it same as here ,,she could take them to the European human rights court,
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

27-05-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I think if anyone is good at their job no employer would get rid of them ..in fact . theirs probably rules against it same as here ,,she could take them to the European human rights court,
If only that were the case, when our country is trying to restrict EU workers freedom of movement within the UK.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sorry Julie, you are a nice person but it doesn't work like that. At the moment his daughter is employed in Europe because she speaks the lingo, has the necessary qualifications, and gets maybe a tad less in salary and the EU law allows freedom of movement of people wherever a job exists.

But, once the UK is not in the EU the firm (and thousands of others) will employ locals because even if it costs a bit more nationalism is much stronger in mainland Europe than it is in UK.

This is especially so in the Eastern Germany and other Eastern European countries where UK nationals who speak the language fluently are as rare as hens teeth.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top