Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Re: Poverty

Originally Posted by Myra ->
Reading another thread made me think of how we all think of poverty in different ways.

What does poverty mean to YOU?

To me it means having no roof over your head, or a damp, leaking roof, little food for your children, nothing in your purse but coppers. Being POOR to me means scraping by, but you cannot afford to buy any luxuries whatsoever. I'm even talking toiletries. A half decent shower gel. Having to buy Basic brands. Anything else might be considered luxury compared to poverty and being "poor".

That's my opinion of course.

I count myself as exceptionally comfortable and I appreciate it so much.

Nothing worse than someone saying theyre skint when they don't even know the meaning of the word.
I've been there too. Looking down the back of the chairs and sofa in the hope of finding some change, buying 2 eggs, one each for the kids......

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
A good portion of the population are one "Non Payday" away from financial catastrophe, so at this moment in time are not in poverty, but are a blink away. There seems to be more family help nowadays when a crisis rears it's head, maybe people these days are less ashamed to ask for assistance.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is the same help any more; there used to be crisis loans and those have been phased out. I suppose they get help in the form of food bank vouchers!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 07:48 PM

Poverty for me meant leave home at 15yo to escape my stepmother and earning £1 a week and my 'keep'.
I was reduced to eating 'Laughing Dog' wholemeal dog biscuits from the kennel in which I worked to supplement my meager diet . I was 7.5 stone always cold and always hungry.
The dogs ate better than the kennel maids. I had never heard of benefits and did not expect anyone to provide for me anyway, that is just how it was and up to me to get off my behind and work my way out of it .
That is what I call 'poor' cold, hungry a change of clothes and not much more.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 08:27 PM

I don't think I have ever been poor, although we were homeless for nearly a year and lived in our car, we were cold for nearly 4 years (our accommodation was a wooden shed on the side of the village hall, no heating single skinned). We haven't been hungry (bought a 56lb bag of potatoes and ate them for a month) because that was all we could afford).
We have rarely had enough money to go round always more month than money but we are not poor.

We refuse to think of our selves as poor because we always had a car, always had jobs, always had each other.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 08:47 PM

I had a £300 tip today from a customer whom I do her trees and shrubs twice a year , Many years ago I was so hard up and skint ,I woud eat dog Bono for days on end
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Markey1 ->
I had a £300 tip today from a customer whom I do her trees and shrubs twice a year , Many years ago I was so hard up and skint ,I woud eat dog Bono for days on end

Markey's buying the next round then.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 09:19 PM

Being poor means worry. Means all sorts of crappy things. Don't want to go anywhere near there if I can help it. Going the opposite way at the moment and intend to keep going that way too.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Markey's buying the next round then.

If you were local mups I love to buy a round of drinks , seem your not more for meee
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 10:22 PM

Being poor is not being able to afford a personal internet connection.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 07:51 AM

Lots of previous hardship amongst members here.

Julie - living in a car? That sounds grim. Must have been very difficult.

Shows we don't have to watch documentaries to know what its like to have no money. Many of us have obviously been there and lived to tell the tale.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 08:45 AM

Suddenly being poor is worse than the gradual decline, having been born into poverty and living 2 or more families to the home.
Then Jerry putting a bomb in it, and all you finish up with a suitcase of gifted clothes, and a train ticket to you don't know till you get to the station, with a label tied on you.
That is poor, but we were lucky although wearing second clothes that didn't fit, there was plenty of work around, mum finished up doing 3 jobs a day to put food on the table.
That is poverty when you have nothing.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top