Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2015, 09:03 PM

Re: Poverty

I find myself stuck in 'crabby' mode. I make plenty of money but I absolutely hate spending it. I've got so used to living on next to nothing it goes against the grain to be lavish. I still haven't a TV license (not for 3 years) and I can't see the point of having one now. I'm toying with buying a car but I don't really need one so why bother? I can live on very little money and my bank balance is rising. Could end up like one of them rich old misers. A modern day Scrooge .

Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2015, 09:15 PM

Scrooge was never given a fair chance-today he would not only make a fortune but would have been knighted.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2015, 07:58 PM

Friday just gone I was a that Russian billionaire place doing work again , roll Royce enter the place followed by 4 range rovers full of body guards , I counted 34 body guards in total around the property , then there's people that can't afford a hot meal , just seems sometimes rich and poor are miles apart
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 11:04 AM

When I lived in S. Africa my first wasband managed to lose his job through drink, we had our mortgage through his work so things were pretty dire. People were giving us food, I was selling our clothes and collecting other people's bottles to get the money back. We lost our house and with two young children we were evicted during a storm. Our stuff was stolen as it was thrown outside in the rain and we ended up staying with friends. My sisters both had wonderful, wealthy, lives, one died of bowel cancer and suffered terribly the other is a widow, alcoholic and alone. I still don't have much but, I feel richer than both of them. Poverty is relative to those around you and can make you more appreciative of what you have. Oh, by the way, yes I'd like to be rich but I don't think I'd be wasteful with it!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
When I lived in S. Africa my first wasband managed to lose his job through drink, we had our mortgage through his work so things were pretty dire. People were giving us food, I was selling our clothes and collecting other people's bottles to get the money back. We lost our house and with two young children we were evicted during a storm. Our stuff was stolen as it was thrown outside in the rain and we ended up staying with friends. My sisters both had wonderful, wealthy, lives, one died of bowel cancer and suffered terribly the other is a widow, alcoholic and alone. I still don't have much but, I feel richer than both of them. Poverty is relative to those around you and can make you more appreciative of what you have. Oh, by the way, yes I'd like to be rich but I don't think I'd be wasteful with it!
Very true - poverty is not a thing of the past - still there ..
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 01:19 PM

My first trip to India was an eye opener-I had seen life in a village with no sewers and kids who looked scrawny,I had seen the back to backs in some rough parts of the industrial north. But to see women in the blazing heat breaking stones by the road side for a few rupee a day put it into perspective
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
My first trip to India was an eye opener-I had seen life in a village with no sewers and kids who looked scrawny,I had seen the back to backs in some rough parts of the industrial north. But to see women in the blazing heat breaking stones by the road side for a few rupee a day put it into perspective
Yes I've seen it too - never been there but seen enough to make me shudder in many docus ............

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top