Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 07:02 PM

The Mount Kinabalu strippers

It has been in the news that some weeks ago a group of tourists who climbed Mount Kinabalu in Malaysia decided to strip off for a photo near the top. This was despite warnings from their guide that this would be offensive to his people and that the mountain was regarded as sacred, which in effect made it even more offensive.
Four of those tourists remain in Sabah, and have been arrested and remanded, due in court tomorrow I think. In such a conservative (and largely Muslim) country, public nudity is not tolerated and it would appear is considered a criminal offence.
The arrogance of those who stripped while knowing that it is offensive and inappropriate in the setting disgusts me. The fact that their parents did not instil some sense of cultural respect in them is very sad, but these were not children but adults who should have known better.
They could apparently face a jail sentence of up to three months for their actions. I personally would like to see them have at least some sort of short sentence, in the hope that they and others would learn from that message.
What do others think?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 07:06 PM

Re: The Mount Kinabalu strippers

If they have been warned about local customs or laws then its tough , they should do the jail time and stop whining...

If people dont want to respect local customs and traditions then they shouldnt go to that country.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
If they have been warned about local customs or laws then its tough , they should do the jail time and stop whining...

If people dont want to respect local customs and traditions then they shouldnt go to that country.
I totally agree, Cass.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 07:14 PM

The arrogance of those who stripped while knowing that it is offensive and inappropriate in the setting disgusts me.
It was being discussed on the radio Ania and the act was being likened to desecrating a war grave here .
Many local people are attributing the earthquake to the people who stripped.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 07:35 PM

Let them go home,they meant no harm. But let them know they brought shame upon themselves and another country. I think a fine to be paid to help those in need would be my judgement
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Whatever happened to respect for others' beliefs and customs? I have no sympathy for those involved and they should be dealt with in the same way that country would treat its own citizens.
I heard on the news the student who stripped was frightened and sorry - bit late in the day, I think.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 07:38 PM

Would you say the same if people from that country stripped in St Pauls ? I would be calling for jail time for both crimes. No one should disregard others cultures or religions. Non of us are above the law.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 07:44 PM

I agree, they should accept their punishment.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 08:10 PM

To my mind it is the height of ignorance not to respect the laws of any country when either living there or visiting, they must have heard about these ancient laws and customs and they should have respected them as guests, let them now take what's coming to them, I have no sympathy for this type of behaviour.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 08:21 PM

They deserve to be sentenced to jail, I have no sympathy for them, it was plain arrogance on their part.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top