Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 11:48 AM

Re: Fracking

I notice they don't want to start down south, they are happy to let Lancashire be the scapegoat.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 11:53 AM

Well as I said they can start here when they like, I don't like how the north always thinks they are so hard done by this should bring jobs which all areas need.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 12:27 PM

Apparently the mother lode is under the South Downs......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I struggle to see how this can be worse than coal mining, at least it is much deeper and not really any different to oil drilling by all accounts so by and large I'm in favour of it.
What I would say, however, is that shale gas is just another finite resource that when it's gone it's gone, and therefore more reliable, long term, non consumable energy sources will have to be developed if humanity is to continue to increase and develop at it has.
Problem is they could damage the water table and that's very expensive to fix Plantman and besides, it's not really a cheap alternative.

What happens when they get it all out though?

There are places all over the world where things have been extracted from the ground and promises made to return it to nature afterwards but what do we do if they carry on with the trend of winding-down the company or declaring them bankrupt to avoid those costs?

It is happening now and taxpayer's having to pick up the tab.
Also, supposing the oil price plummets?

What then? stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Apparently the mother lode is under the South Downs......
Indeed and as far as I am concerned they can have it, I seem to recall years ago before fracking was ever mentioned we have a fair bit in this area too which they are welcome to.
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

16-06-2015, 02:43 PM

I don't believe the horror stories presented by the anti lobby as such groups are broadly populated by the prolific anti brigades, not in my back yarders and assorted professional whingers. Surely if the fruits of fracking can deliver cheaper household heating and energy bills it will be the mother of all boosts to the economy via the increased spending power of households.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Steven with a V ->
I don't believe the horror stories presented by the anti lobby as such groups are broadly populated by the prolific anti brigades, not in my back yarders and assorted professional whingers. Surely if the fruits of fracking can deliver cheaper household heating and energy bills it will be the mother of all boosts to the economy via the increased spending power of households.
Yes, but Will it deliver cheaper household heating?, I remember them saying that when they discovered north sea gas and oil, and look at the price we are paying now.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 03:34 PM

Just look at the trouble Texas is in because of a drought, back in 1995 they tankers were bringing water into West Yorkshire, have another drought and we are up to our necks in it.
Simple really not in my back yard.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Yes, but Will it deliver cheaper household heating?, I remember them saying that when they discovered north sea gas and oil, and look at the price we are paying now.
True enough
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Better to be self-supporting than waiting for Putin to switch our lights off. Imaging the dreadful worst scenario , in the middle of Corrie.
no need for scaremongering on that scale DOE.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top