Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 03:40 PM

Re: Fracking

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Yes, but Will it deliver cheaper household heating?, I remember them saying that when they discovered north sea gas and oil, and look at the price we are paying now.
it will certainly generate more revenue for the exchequer.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Apparently the mother lode is under the South Downs......
Then that would be the best place to start.
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

16-06-2015, 03:56 PM

I wouldn't put much faith in Government ensuring cheaper fuel bills. It may however facilitate a right of centre Government the freedom to lower taxes. I understand local authorities in fraking areas will gain a dividend as a sweetener.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 04:34 PM

Just look at the maths, See Here
Do you want dirty drinking water?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 04:57 PM

It's not about cheaper it's about having enough to supply us all. We need it unless we fancy doing without for periods or cutting back what we use in other ways.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Just look at the maths, See Here
Do you want dirty drinking water?
Our water is drunk I think it is 7 times filtered through us and then back into the system to be made safe to drink again. Is this any more scary than that ? not to me.
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

16-06-2015, 06:40 PM

On that note I've decided to give up this evenings tap water and fruit salad detox, and head on down to the George and Dragon for two or three pints of London Pride and a packet of pork scratchings, and consider the machinations of 7 times bodily filtering *shudder*!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Our water is drunk I think it is 7 times filtered through us and then back into the system to be made safe to drink again. Is this any more scary than that ? not to me.
Julie, the world only has so many gallons of water, it never changes, our water is in the form of clouds rain or ice and sometimes steam.
We can never increase the amount of water in the world. As you can see by this link See Here we have more salt water which is not suitable for drinking, we don't need our drinking water contaminated in anyway.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 07:13 PM

Great news ! Yes let's get fracking !

There is a big picture people need to consider here which is that the UK is an island and we are currently at the mercy of foreign powers/suppliers for much of our energy. We are being ripped off and it is high time we made our own energy and kicked the foreign moguls out of the picture.

There is enough Shale Gas down there to serve the energy needs of Britain for 50 years. That's an incredible resource and the populous would be utterly stupid not to use it and to buy expensive energy from overseas instead !

You can bet your bottom dollar that the foreign powers who currently hold us by the short and curlies, will not readily or willingly give up their lucrative positions of energy pushers. Where do you think all the carefully organised anti-fracking opposition comes from?? They have flooded the internet with misinformation and scare stories to brainwash local communities into thinking we should reject fracking. Common sense MUST prevail otherwise the lights will go off at some point and energy "rationing" programmes will begin.

Originally Posted by StevMk2
Problem is they could damage the water table
This is just one of the many, oft repeated. scare stories that surfaces whenever the topic arises. "Fracking damages water tables". Not it does not. It is simply untrue ! The "business end" of fracking happens way down in the ground a long way under the water table and gravity ensures that nothing down there can find it's way up to the water table. It is true that in some cases, water tables HAVE been damaged, but NOT as a result of the process of fracking. The damage has been caused by the spillage and/or bad management of chemicals being stored ON THE SURFACE in the mine compound. This same risk affects every kind of business that is dealing with chemicals . . . . and that's a lot of businesses.

Nevertheless, in response to such public concerns, the Gov't re-assessed and tightened up the laws and regulations concerning the storage and management of chemicals for any company wanting to conduct fracking. So now it is safer than it was before !

The other "oft repeated" scare story is the one concerning earthquakes. It's an easy cheap shot scare story TBH. What many people don't realise is that the UK suffers HUNDREDS of earthquakes every year. Most are force 1-2 but occasionally they are worse. Fracking can produce minor tremors in the 1-2 range.

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeol...quakes/UK.html

Overall I am personally now immune to the attempts by foreign powers to suggest to me that fracking is a terrible thing to be opposed at all costs.

The UK NEEDS SELF-SUFFICIENCY as far as possible and Shale Gas is one of the ways we can establish ourselves and reduce reliance on expensive foreign energy. We could even sell it to the rest of Europe for some nice income !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-06-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Julie, the world only has so many gallons of water, it never changes, our water is in the form of clouds rain or ice and sometimes steam.We can never increase the amount of water in the world. As you can see by this link See Here we have more salt water which is not suitable for drinking, we don't need our drinking water contaminated in anyway.
Exactly my point it goes around and around, and we clean it up to drink it, the earth cleans it up for us too and we will if it ever happens deal with anything fracking causes. Although I have a feeling the danger is rather over egged by the NIMBYs.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top