Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 06:53 PM

I find this intriguing

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33152596

I've followed this story for the past couple of days and find the whole concept of her deception intriguing. A white woman has tried to pass herself off as of black heritage and was working as an activist for black rights in the US.

I'm wondering where this all started. And what was the initial motivation. Perhaps making use of the positive discrimination towards blacks/minorities that once was the fashion?

It's bizarre, but interesting all the same! Can't say I would be keen to meet her, though...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 07:02 PM

Re: I find this intriguing

She comes across as one very mixed up Lady to me, she needs help.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 07:06 PM

I agree, Jem, but I'd love to know more about how it all developed. I feel very sorry for her parents, too, although who knows if they contributed to her weird self-image.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 07:10 PM

This 'case' was being discussed on the radio earlier.
This woman takes empathy to a whole new level
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

16-06-2015, 07:13 PM

But is it empathy? Or something else that motivated her?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
But is it empathy? Or something else that motivated her?
I think it is a form of misguided empathy ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 07:36 PM

I can well see how she has gone down this route, when we had the boys and Tasha here all together she constantly had her hair in "black" styles and often identified more with her black cousins/brothers than she did with the white kids at school. I think it has to be dealt with gently and with sympathy something this ladies parents has failed to do. When you take in more than one race of children you have to be aware it can come with problems, my boys at various points have identified with whites more than blacks something they are now growing out of as they are away from home a lot and mixing with other cultures.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

16-06-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I can well see how she has gone down this route, when we had the boys and Tasha here all together she constantly had her hair in "black" styles and often identified more with her black cousins/brothers than she did with the white kids at school. I think it has to be dealt with gently and with sympathy something this ladies parents has failed to do. When you take in more than one race of children you have to be aware it can come with problems, my boys at various points have identified with whites more than blacks something they are now growing out of as they are away from home a lot and mixing with other cultures.
Julie, I can certainly see that and it all makes perfect sense. But I don't think it reflects this woman's actions. She previously, as a young adult, sued (unsuccessfully) her university for discriminating against her BECAUSE SHE WAS WHITE. Then later in life she opted to portray herself as black.I suspect she has merely used her 'ethnicity' when she expected to gain in some way from it. To my knowledge there has been no indication that when she was growing up was when the problem started, although of course it may play a part.

And I don't think we can know if her parents failed to deal with having a multiracial family as you suggest.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 10:03 PM

It reminds me of that famous native American guy that turned out to be white and English I think. I'll have to Google him, I think he was called White Eagle or something. It's an attention seeking thing I think and a bit romanticism.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 10:22 PM

It was Archibald Stansfield Delaney and he pretended to be a Canadian Indian called Grey Owl. Very interesting man.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top