Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 08:42 AM

Re: Ban school christain assemblies

Our school still has a traditional assembly as it is a Christian school, they have a prayer and sing a hymn each morning, once a week they have another religion represented and they all enjoy that day. The Hindu worship and the Buddhist days are great fun as well as bringing all the kids together.

I would be unhappy if they banned the Christian worship element as it would stop all the other bits they do with other religions and I think we need more to bring people together so they can learn about each other.

We have an exceptionally friendly happy school, and it's I part because of the assemblies being so inclusive and such a happy start to the day I believe.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->

"Ban religion" "It's all fairy stories" "Its all supernatural nonsense"..
These comments are at worst pure hype & at best uninformed chatter.
No-one is suggesting banning religion. What is being discussed is banning religious teaching and assemblies in educational establishments. If people want to believe in a religion, that is completely up to them. If people want to indoctrinate children by including religious elements into schools - that is just plain wrong. No "hype" and an informed opinion, not idle chatter. If you disagree, say why!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 09:11 AM

I think the UK needs to decide what it is.

Is it a Christian country with its laws norms and morals based in Christian beleif systems? If so then state schools should be allowed to hold assembly with that faith based idea in mind.

Any other faith or additional religious teaching should be done via the church of choice.

The alternative is to ban all faith lessons/teachings or faith based celebrations in all schools.

Trying to accomodate everyone and make them all happy clearly isnt working.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I'm all in favour of Christian and all other religious assemblies being banned from educational establishments. I would like to see education being completely secular. In my view, religion(s) should only be studied in schools as part of history and/or sociology. I would also like to see the outlawing of "faith" schools - let parents indoctrinate their kids in their own time if they must do it at all. Education is too important to be mixed up with supernatural nonsense!
Well said Mick.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 09:28 AM

I was assuming it was religion that was being suggested being taken out of schools but if it's just Christianity that is discrimination, and I cannot imagine anyone being willing to openly discriminate against us and only us.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 09:36 AM

I agree with Mick, but, I did so enjoy the nativity plays.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 09:38 AM

It's the Assemblies Julie.

The Bishop of Oxford has suggested that the Legal requirement for schools to include worship in assembly should be dropped because of the decline of Christianity in Britain.

He also said it was more suited to the 1940s and could actively put people off religion and is meaningless to people who do not believe.

I know you will be hurt by that Julie, as will a lot of other people.

You already know my view so I won't add any more here.

People have a right to believe what they want to believe and worship whatever God they choose. stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I agree with Mick, but, I did so enjoy the nativity plays.
Me too. Always had a lump in my throat
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
It's the Assemblies Julie.

The Bishop of Oxford has suggested that the Legal requirement for schools to include worship in assembly should be dropped because of the decline of Christianity in Britain.

He also said it was more suited to the 1940s and could actively put people off religion and is meaningless to people who do not believe.

I know you will be hurt by that Julie, as will a lot of other people.

You already know my view so I won't add any more here.

People have a right to believe what they want to believe and worship whatever God they choose. stevmk2

That's right - rather than be forced upon them
Religion has no place in schools
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-06-2015, 10:17 AM

So this will apply to all schools not just Christian ones ? That is what is bothering me if it is just Christian assemblies that is discrimination as there is a lot of religion in Muslim/Jewish/Hindu etc schools.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top