Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 10:24 AM

Re: Ban school christain assemblies

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
So this will apply to all schools not just Christian ones ? That is what is bothering me if it is just Christian assemblies that is discrimination as there is a lot of religion in Muslim/Jewish/Hindu etc schools.
For me, there shouldn't be "Muslim/Jewish/Hindu etc schools" - at least not schools recognised by the authorities as providing full-time education. If religious parents want to organise religious education outside mainstream schooling it should be as a voluntary addition outside normal school time, not instead of it.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
For me, there shouldn't be "Muslim/Jewish/Hindu etc schools" - at least not schools recognised by the authorities as providing full-time education. If religious parents want to organise religious education outside mainstream schooling it should be as a voluntary addition outside normal school time, not instead of it.
I agree yet again Mick.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 10:43 AM

So this will apply to all schools not just Christian ones ? That is what is bothering me if it is just Christian assemblies that is discrimination as there is a lot of religion in Muslim/Jewish/Hindu etc schools.
Julie as I understand it a suggestion was made by one person this week and picked up by a couple of papers. I think it was more about there not being compulsory daily worship/ prayers in school assembles any more.

There will I am pretty sure always be 'school assemblies' , they play a important part in bringing the children together, they just may not be of any particular religiously persuasion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ys-Clarke.html
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 11:41 AM

I don't have a problem with that it's just the discrimination against the Christian act of worship but allowing all others is bothering me. We could have a good assembly without the religious aspect but while others are allowed their religious observance I will fight for the Christian right to do the same. I can't really see why all religions and none couldn't be accommodated so everyone gets to see all sides to life.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 01:00 PM

it's just the discrimination against the Christian act of worship but allowing all others is bothering me.
That would bother me too! I don't want to discriminate against any individual religion - whatever it might be. People are entitled to believe what they want to believe. As Voltaire was alleged to have said, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
I just don't believe that schools are an appropriate arena for propagating religious or political philosophies.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 01:26 PM

That would bother me too! I don't want to discriminate against any individual religion - whatever it might be. People are entitled to believe what they want to believe. As Voltaire was alleged to have said, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
I just don't believe that schools are an appropriate arena for propagating religious or political philosophies.
I can agree with you totally there, if schools were completely Faith free it would be totally fair.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 03:55 PM

I'm all in favour of Christian and all other religious assemblies being banned from educational establishments. I would like to see education being completely secular. In my view, religion(s) should only be studied in schools as part of history and/or sociology. I would also like to see the outlawing of "faith" schools - let parents indoctrinate their kids in their own time if they must do it at all. Education is too important to be mixed up with supernatural nonsense!
100% Agreed.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 04:12 PM

Well put.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Markey1 ->
Heard on the news that schools christain schools assemblies might be banned in the future ,

Your thoughts
Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
"Ban religion" "It's all fairy stories" "Its all supernatural nonsense"..
These comments are at worst pure hype & at best uninformed chatter.

A worthy topic, but it aint that simple

After a pause for 24 hours and after researching more fully articles for and against Christian school assemblies I have to say that my post was a little harsh & uninformed. I have learned from this topic not to respond to items not backed up with accurate sources given. This was pointed out quite rightly to my response &"thoughts"

However we are all influenced by our experience and perception of life .

I am undecided, but more informed. I am flawed, as are we all. Religion continues to divide and rule , fuelled by intolerance and human cussedness..(is that a word?)

That is all I have to say on this subject
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 08:10 AM

I admire your honesty Robert.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top