Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 09:26 AM

David Cameron on Extremism

I don't normally post on any religious themes as it's usually asking for trouble but I feel that David Cameron has opened a can of worms with his statement: -

"Parts of some Muslim communities have to share the blame for young Britons joining Isis forces because they have “quietly condoned” extremist ideology instead of confronting it"

That's an insulting generalisation in my opinion and very badly timed as it is Ramadan at the moment.

For some reason the argument is always circular where Islam or Muslims are the subject: -

Muslims are disaffected, so they seek a home abroad, where they are kept under close surveillance and stopped at airports, and thus become more disaffected.....

Muslims are responsible for extremism in the same way the Catholic Church is responsible for Jimmy Savile, or the Church of England for its homophobia.

Anything done by Muslims comes into a different category somehow; if a Muslim had opened fire in a Church, it would be a terrorist attack; a white man does it and it is a fire-arms offence.

Looking up some of the comments online already I note that the build-up of hatred is strongly in evidence.

Well done David. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 09:44 AM

Re: David Cameron on Extremism

So what is he supposed to do
I see nothing wrong in asking parents to be more vigilant because they always think it 'will not happen in my family'
It does !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 10:00 AM

"Parts of some Muslim communities have to share the blame for young Britons joining Isis forces because they have “quietly condoned” extremist ideology instead of confronting it"
Steve I think on this occasion DC is correct.
People 'quietly condone' something by not saying anything and if this isn't the case how come some very young people have been able to go to Syria, where did they get the money for the fare for a start and their passports.
Remember also DC has access to information which do not and will be aware of many things including various attempts for young people to go off and join ISIS.

I am aware that many Muslims feel disaffected and alienated since the events of/ following 9/11 and if I were a Muslim parent with young children I would be discussing ISIS and their brutality which is contrary to the teachings of Islam with them and doing everything in my power to prevent them 'hero worshipping' what some young people consider to be freedom fighters. .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 10:02 AM

So right .........
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 10:32 AM

Just a thought.
What if some of these young people have not gone willingly?
How would we react if our families were threatened and intimidated? The finger of extremism is long and extends to all corners of the world.
Young religious people are so vulnerable and could easily be convinced to travel to Syria if they thought that their families were at risk. Extremism could possibly be found in the people that we think could help them: The Police for example. The fear of death to your loved ones is a powerful driver, and who could you trust not to be a part of extremism. This would explain the finance and help needed to leave Britain without the knowledge of your parents. Fear is the driver, and not just for your own life.

It has already been established that it was 'Out of character' for some of these young people to travel and join Isis, but would they do it if they believed it would save the lives of their loved ones. To believe in God, Allah, Mohamed or whoever you praise, if you were convinced it was his instruction, would you obey?

I agree with Steve, not a smart move by Cameron, the majority of Muslims hate extremism the same as you or I, so why alienate all Muslims with suggestive remarks?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 10:45 AM

It's hard to argue that the whole of the Middle East isn't being ravaged by extremists of the Islam faith, and really the fact that many muslims fail to condemn their actions in the strongest possible terms does, in a way, condone their extremism so well said DC .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 12:45 PM

I have on some of this to agree with DC I have witnessed many who prefer to keep quiet rather than condemn, I have witnessed one who encouraged and cheered on the pair who slaughtered the soldier who was hacked to death. But I have seen people condemn it all too. So he is partly right he just can't say all Muslims because they come in all shapes and sizes and cannot all be treated as thinking the same.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

19-06-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have on some of this to agree with DC I have witnessed many who prefer to keep quiet rather than condemn, I have witnessed one who encouraged and cheered on the pair who slaughtered the soldier who was hacked to death. But I have seen people condemn it all too. So he is partly right he just can't say all Muslims because they come in all shapes and sizes and cannot all be treated as thinking the same.

Don't think it would sound quite right if he said 'Could 'some' of you Muslims be more vigilant .............
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 12:51 PM

He wouldn't like it if he was faced with all MPs are .... and none of us would like if all English people are ..... it is never all of any people. But I take your point it's hard to phrase it to cover the people it needs to without including everyone at times.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 01:16 PM

Interesting that not too long ago both Nigel Farage and Marine le Pen said the same thing as our Dave, but they were shouted down as being racist.

But he finally seems to have admitted what a lot of people have noticed months ago. That our Black/Moslem/Asian/Ethnic population will squeal and take to the streets at the slightest peceived injustice, yet, apart from a few token and predictable mutterings, their criticism and protests against Moslem Extremisim is noticeable by its absence.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top