Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 01:45 PM

Re: David Cameron on Extremism

We have had this discussion several times some excellent research and postings showing how Muslims have spoken out against the extremists, haven't time at the moment to look them up but they have proved many times how wrong it is to say they have been silent.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We have had this discussion several times some excellent research and postings showing how Muslims have spoken out against the extremists, haven't time at the moment to look them up but they have proved many times how wrong it is to say they have been silent.
Thank You for that Julie.

I've spoken to some of my Muslim neighbours - I do have quite a lot - and they say that they are not happy at this blanket condemnation.

Ali, a local Muslim elder and neighbour has told me that this is being discussed constantly because Muslim families do not know what to do in the face of this onslaught by Extremists.
He pointed me towards the Muslim Council of Britain and I found the following from Dr Shuja Shafi, Secretary General of the Muslim Council: -

"The Prime Minister is absolutely right in saying that finger-pointing when it comes to radicalisation is wrong and dangerous. Yet the media response to the Prime Minister’s speech suggests that the finger is firmly pointing only at Muslim communities, even though Muslims and Muslim organisations around the country have loudly and unequivocally condemned terrorism, they continue to be demonised".

As I have pointed out many times in the past, do not believe everything that you read in National Newspapers.

They are often the worst sources for truth, just as the Russian Pravda - meaning Truth is a National joke in Russia.

Find all the different points of view and make up your own mind! stevmk2
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

19-06-2015, 03:52 PM

I say well done David Cameron, and he's spot on with his comments. One of the parents of the recently departed to Syria blamed the Police for not intervening, warning them and deradicalizing his daughter prior to her Foxtrot-Oscaring with her children. It turns out the father had taken her to watch a Radical Preacher when she was 13. Furthermore, a young woman arrested last week for hate preaching and recruiting volunteers for ISIS was herself a recent(ish) immigrant who has; been housed, along with her family, educated, is in receipt of benefits and has accessed NHS healthcare all on the tax-payers dime. We provide a state where these people are free to practise their religion, have free access to education, benefits, healthcare and they are "free," free to interact within the State as are any of us. Some however; choose to exist within their own chokingly conservative, patriarchal, religious, ethnic ghettoes and communities.

With regards to Jimmy Savile; I don't recall any of his victims saying he hollered "God is Great" whilst in the throws of his molestations! If you seriously think the British State is responsible for Islamic Extremism and not Islam perhaps you should spend more time in the company of Russell Brand's misguided Islamist apologist disciples and cultural marxists who follow "The Trews" on youtube.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 03:57 PM

I think we are all responsible for much of the trouble our youngsters are not seeing good role models they see people not much older than them behaving in a hedonistic drunken orgy of bad behaviour and that makes them think either they want to join in or they are so degusted they turn to more radical religions. Our society is fairly corrupt when you look around. And that's all before we marched into other countries and messed them up.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I don't normally post on any religious themes as it's usually asking for trouble but I feel that David Cameron has opened a can of worms with his statement: -

"Parts of some Muslim communities have to share the blame for young Britons joining Isis forces because they have “quietly condoned” extremist ideology instead of confronting it"

That's an insulting generalisation in my opinion and very badly timed as it is Ramadan at the moment.

For some reason the argument is always circular where Islam or Muslims are the subject: -

Muslims are disaffected, so they seek a home abroad, where they are kept under close surveillance and stopped at airports, and thus become more disaffected.....

Muslims are responsible for extremism in the same way the Catholic Church is responsible for Jimmy Savile, or the Church of England for its homophobia.

Anything done by Muslims comes into a different category somehow; if a Muslim had opened fire in a Church, it would be a terrorist attack; a white man does it and it is a fire-arms offence.

Looking up some of the comments online already I note that the build-up of hatred is strongly in evidence.

Well done David. stevmk2
I find it hard to comment on this really, as I don't know the context in which it was said. It presumably was part of an interview or discussion which involved more than just that statement. In my opinion the statement itself is correct, because I am sure that parts of some Muslim communities do 'quietly condone' extremist ideology. But that doesn't apply just to Muslims, and of course many do try to speak out. Whether it should have been said depends on knowing the context a little better.

What if he had said "Parts of inner city communities must take some blame for gang killings for quietly condoning them rather than confronting the gang culture"?
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 04:42 PM

If someone draws a cartoon of an Islamic character, it's death threats, killings, "burning of the infidel" etc etc, because this person has insulted the Islamic faith.

Now I'm reading that some muslims consider ISIS to be also an insult to the Islamic faith...but I don't see any protest except maybe a small column in a newspaper by an individual, usually an Islamic apologist.

If islam is supposed to be 'everything' with no tolerance to anything against it, and ISIS is anti-islam, how come there isn't any street protests, death threats and all the other rantings which come with a simple drawing?

I seldom agree with DC, but he's right.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 04:45 PM

I've just tried to find out more about the speech, but all I find are inflammatory headlines claiming that Cameron blames Muslims for ISIS…the implication being that he blames ALL Muslims. Bloomin' journalists.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-06-2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
If someone draws a cartoon of an Islamic character, it's death threats, killings, "burning of the infidel" etc etc, because this person has insulted the Islamic faith.

Now I'm reading that some muslims consider ISIS to be also an insult to the Islamic faith...but I don't see any protest except maybe a small column in a newspaper by an individual, usually an Islamic apologist.

If islam is supposed to be 'everything' with no tolerance to anything against it, and ISIS is anti-islam, how come there isn't any street protests, death threats and all the other rantings which come with a simple drawing?

I seldom agree with DC, but he's right.
You must have missed how many people in the countries who are fighting back and how many people from this country going to join them against ISIS.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 05:10 PM

You must have missed how many people in the countries who are fighting back and how many people from this country going to join them against ISIS.
Maybe. But I don't see any protests in the street, I don't see threats to anyone who tries to go over there, I don't see burning of the ISIS flags, rantings, ravings or anything else which they seems to do at everything considered anti-Islamic. (which in some quarters, is basically everything non-Islamic).

Just a silence.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 06:10 PM

How many UK Muslims do you calculate have travelled abroad to fight against ISIL Julie? How many of those were from Sunni backgrounds?
What we do know is that it is estimated that up to 6500 young muslims have travelled from the UK to Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria and Iraq for military/terrorist training over the past 15 years. Worryingly, the majority of those are now back in the UK. (http://henryjacksonsociety.org/wp-co...-Jihadists.pdf)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top