Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 03:00 PM

Another baby killed by a dog

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/terrier-bi...l?vp=1#TgwyVZw

Very very sad, but I do find myself wondering why a small dog was kept in a shed in the garden.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 03:09 PM

Re: Another baby killed by a dog

It's terrible, i think now they should bring out some kind of law where animals are concerned, especially around babies...
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/terrier-bi...l?vp=1#TgwyVZw

Very very sad, but I do find myself wondering why a small dog was kept in a shed in the garden.
I saw that the baby was just three weeks old so I am assuming that before he came home, the dog had the run of the house.

Afterwards, it seems to me that that dog is then excluded from the family home.

I am not an expert on dog behaviour but I have had a number of dogs in the past and I have noticed that, as pack animals, there is a hierarchical factor and dogs will feel as if they are somehow "demoted" in circumstances such as this.

I once had a perfectly-behaved Spaniel that became a rabid protector of our daughter the moment she came into the home.

When she attacked our son, we had no choice as, rather prophetically, this dog turned out to be deaf so there was nothing really that could be done to pacify the dog into understanding exactly where she now stood in the family or "pack".

I really feel that there needs to be more restrictions on dog owners - sorry but that's how I feel.

Can you imagine what that poor child went through before it was killed?! stevmk2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 04:05 PM

It looks to me as though there is more to this than we currently know.
If the mother 'never left the child alone with the dog' and the dog was 'usually kept in the outhouse' - how come it had access to the child in the first place?

I do not blame the dog and do not feel it should be destroyed - just re-homed to someone who cares more for it than to keep it in a shed!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 04:14 PM

I understand the dog involved was a Patterdale Terrier, lovely little hunting terriers with a high prey drive and used to hunt vermin.

Sadly so many people who have dogs don't understand them.

If we look at a strange new baby from a dog's perspective they hear something which screeches like prey and may even smell of milk/food and the natural instinct of a terrier is to nip and shake prey.

People also frequently 'adopt' a similar 'baby' voice when talking to a pet dog and a baby , this is very confusing for a dog.

My dog has a high prey drive and I would never trust her alone with a baby.

This latest event appears to have been a terrible accident which happened because someone failed to realise what could happen
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 04:16 PM

From reports of neighbours it seems this dog was a regular escapee which doesn't make me feel the owners were very responsible people. Add to that a dog originally bred to kill foxes and a small baby and you have an accident waiting to happen.

We have always had terriers and children, we took huge amount of care never to allow either dogs or children to get hurt. Hard work but worth it in the end.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 04:28 PM

I was so sorry to hear about this wee baby. Another tragedy.

I don't like to judge, but why get a dog and normally keep it in an outhouse? If I had a dog I'd have it indoors and part of the family.

Some people shouldn't have dogs.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
It looks to me as though there is more to this than we currently know.
If the mother 'never left the child alone with the dog' and the dog was 'usually kept in the outhouse' - how come it had access to the child in the first place?

I do not blame the dog and do not feel it should be destroyed - just re-homed to someone who cares more for it than to keep it in a shed!
I agree with you Silver Tabby. I don't know how, or why, the baby was left alone with the dog but if the baby cried or was making "baby noises" then no doubt the dog's instincts could have cut in, or maybe it even thought it was a squeaky toy, I doubt we will ever know, but I agree that the dog should not be put down, I'm sure it could be rehomed with more sensible and responsible people.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 05:13 PM

This was very sad, having had a Patterdale cross I never saw anything like this in mine, having sad that I would never leave any animal near a baby, especially a cat.
Now my blame goes to the people who make squeaky toys for dogs, and I feel what happened here the baby cried in the night and the dog did what he would have done with a squeaky toy, pick it up and shake it till he has finally stopped the squeak.
Maybe I am wrong, but the dog should never have been put down, I would have gladly had him, and he wouldn't have been shut out in a brick outhouse.
It was a tragic accident that should never have happened.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 05:14 PM

That's the problem for me Loretta - people don't seen to get that a 'baby' and a dog should never be in the same room unsupervised - no matter how much you love the dog, its just sense because the dog may not realise just how rough at play he can be, especially with a baby .......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top