Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tess
Midlothian Scotland UK
Tess is female  Tess has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 03:26 PM

Introvert

I am an introvert. I have just given myself this diagnosis. Are there any other people on here who are introverted? I would love to chat to others who introverted or who have overcome introvercy
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 03:31 PM

Re: Introvert

Hi Tess - no I'm not introverted
I think its because I had to fend for meself as a child - why do you think you are Tess ? Is it conversation ? Feeling uneasy in certain situations ?
Tess
Midlothian Scotland UK
Tess is female  Tess has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 03:39 PM

Since way back I have lacked confidence I'm shy and can only talk one to one I'm no good in social situations. I get a stress rash on my neck in any situation where I feel anxious even when it is one to one. I work in customer service which takes me out of my comfort zone because if I didn't have to face people to work I wouldn't face people at all. I have always felt like I'm standing alone on the outside looking in. Desparately wanting to be a part of things but unable to do so. I have never given myself this label before but over the last 2-3 years I am working on trying to sort myself and my life out.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 03:41 PM

That's an awful situation for you - hopefully someone here will have experienced the same and give you good advice x
Tess
Midlothian Scotland UK

21-06-2015, 03:45 PM

Thanks for your concern Patsy I hope so too x
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 03:47 PM

Hi Tess I would say that I am introverted in that I don't mix well with people and have been know to hide rather than mix when forced to attend events.

I was instructed to stop thinking about myself to focus on others and think how ill at ease they may be feeling , it didn't work

Now it doesn't bother me, I am too old to change and am happy to be a semi recluse .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tess ->
Thanks for your concern Patsy I hope so too x
Could it be to do with your past Tess (parents)
If so, you need to put that memory in a box and shut the lid tight - so you are able to move on - that's what I did and it worked .................
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tess ->
Since way back I have lacked confidence I'm shy and can only talk one to one I'm no good in social situations. I get a stress rash on my neck in any situation where I feel anxious even when it is one to one. I work in customer service which takes me out of my comfort zone because if I didn't have to face people to work I wouldn't face people at all. I have always felt like I'm standing alone on the outside looking in. Desparately wanting to be a part of things but unable to do so. I have never given myself this label before but over the last 2-3 years I am working on trying to sort myself and my life out.
Tess, you've described how I used to be. I know what it's like and how it feels. Give yourself a pat on the back as not everyone can or could work in customer service. Don't be so hard on yourself. Don't label yourself. Why should you? The world needs introverts as well as extroverts. Some of us are shy and it can actually be more attractive than being loud. Think of all your good assets, and I think you'll have lots of them. You are just you and don't try and be someone you're not. You sound lovely to me. You look good too. Just be yourself x
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 04:19 PM

Hi Tess. I'm wondering if the problem is not one of being an introvert, but simply lacking self-confidence. I would class myself as an introvert, as I tend to avoid social interaction but I don't see it as a problem as I am happy in my own company.

Your "desperately wanting to be a part of things but unable to do so" and "standing alone on the outside looking in" makes it sound as though you feel isolated and powerless, but these are not the same as being introverted. I don't think a 'label' is important, but it does sound as though you could do with some help. If it is a big concern to you then perhaps you should mention it to your GP and see what help might be on offer. There are a lot of services out there to help with psychological wellbeing.
Good luck!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 04:22 PM

There are also books out there about building self confidence. Have a look on Amazon. Not everyone is a socialite, so don't beat yourself up about that. It just sounds as though your confidence is low and my goodness how I know how that feels. But, you can turn a corner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top