Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 08:55 AM

Britain's fattest man dies

Britain's fattest man, at 65stones, has died.

He could apparently not walk, wash, or dress himself and was fed and cared for by a team of NHS carers.

What I want to know is this, where is the care and compassion in continuing to feed a person like this 10,000 calories a day?

I thought assited suicide was illegal, but apparently it's state sponsored in this instance.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 09:00 AM

Re: Britain's fattest man dies

According to this newspaper article - He ordered takeaways every day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-65-stone.html
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
According to this newspaper article - He ordered takeaways every day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-65-stone.html
Apparently yes, 5 nights a week for his evening meal, but his "carers" served his gargantuan breakfasts and lunches. It's a fact that without their help I doubt that he could not have reached the weight that he did.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Tis food for thought.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Apparently yes, 5 nights a week for his evening meal, but his "carers" served his gargantuan breakfasts and lunches. It's a fact that without their help I doubt that he could not have reached the weight that he did.
Very good point !
Its a crazy world we live in
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 09:39 AM

It is quite possible that this poor man could have had Prader Willi syndrome (a genetic disorder). I read that he had been obese since a child.

http://www.fpwr.co.uk/about-prader-willi-syndrome/
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 09:45 AM

We, as a society, have become much more sympathetic to other addictions, particularly to drugs and alcohol, but still seem to have problems accepting the real issue of food addiction.

I will own up to the fact that I find (sensationalist) cases like this difficult to understand but I think it is understanding and help which are required. Help to get over the addiction (a real problem when the addictive substance, food, is essential to life, unlike alcohol or heroin), not to feed it.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 09:49 AM

Fatman is dead, long live Fatman.
Yes, I don't understand it either.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 11:27 AM

Why blame the carers? They were there to see to his physical needs not to be his cooks or dieticians. He ordered the takeaways and they were apparently delivered to his bedside by people to whom he had given a key. He had a choice.
He was presumably mentally competent enough to know that he was killing himself with every mouthful.
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 03:02 PM

I watched a TV program a few months back about people with this massive overweight problem. I was amazed at how many there are and how much they cost the NHS and other services for their care.

For a start, their homes have to be adapted with door frames being widened and if they can use the toilet, specially adapted ones installed. They have to have special beds and hoists and if using wheel chairs, they need to be wider and stronger than the norm.

Carers visit every day to wash and see to other needs such as having to lift the fatty layers and treat skin disorders caused by bacteria, change incontinence pads and cook food.

When visiting hospitals, special ambulances are now being made for them and apparently the demand is on the increase. These are hired privately by the hospital being visited and have to carry a large crew for lifting etc Of course once in hospital, extra wide beds and trollys are need and specially made as they are in the home. Sometimes, special lifter gear is hired to lift the patient from their home.
One hospital even has an extras large MRI scanner as they won't fit into ordinary ones.

Besides this they are on all sorts of benefits.

Most of the people that I saw had an eating problem in as much as they cannot stop eating what and how much they should. Would it not be in their and our interest, to have a purpose built hospital ward for them, where they have to live and be treated by diet and exercise when they are able. Expensive I know but the money would be saved in many other areas. They would maybe have to travel to wherever they could get the treatment, but so be it.

Sad and shocking at the same time, as they are actually killing themselves when they get to the point that they can't help themselves. When watching the program, I felt incensed that they are costing so much to care for, when other people cannot get the help they medical help they need.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top