Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 03:03 AM

Re: JEALOUSY within the family

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
What perplexes me is how he can be such a mother's boy, demanding her attention every second yet he's so unruly towards her ….... except when the situation has to do with the 3 of us. Then he's all on mum's side (as though there's friction between us, which there isn't), openly favouring her against me. I understand nothing.
I don't think that's so difficult to understand. Children are in many ways like young animals - they suss out very quickly who will serve their needs best and who they can manipulate to have their needs and wants satisfied. For instance - our dog is more spoilt by my partner than by me ...and guess who he hovers next to whenever food is around!

Your son has quickly figured out that his mother gives in to all his desires, yet he probably knows deep down that this is not really as it should be (he must note the difference with you, teachers and other children's parents) so what does a young animal do in those circumstances....it demands more and more attention yet knowing it's being naughty in doing so but unable to stop the behaviour. In a human with rather more intelligence, this causes a conflict within that person which may well display itself as "unruly" behaviour. A psychologist might say that he was 'punishing' her for not being the type of parent he really needs and wants. And when you're all together he's "punishing" you too because he's too young to know what else to do to appease the conflict within himself.

I hope you don't think this is too complex an explanation but I think there is some truths in it.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 09:22 AM

I don't see this as jealousy on the boys part, he is being a very normal, but I believe the jealousy lies with you, it is you who is jealous of your child.
Just learn to ignore it and accept that he will come around, get him to help you with chores around the home, teach him the tools and how to care for the home and garden.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
It would seem to me that you have to try to be more of a friend to your son than a father.
The many rules we weigh our offspring down with are mostly not really necessary and only serve to put distance between us.
Do it now before it is too late to recover the situation and you grow too far apart to close the increasing and irrevocably developing gap.
A father is not a friend he is a parent .
The child is manipulative and playing off the mother against the father.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
We have what I assume is the classic father-mother relationship with our (now) 8-year-old son. My wife spoils him (although not in the extreme - yet) and allows him to test the limits of her patience. I set the rules (fair ones, if you ask me) and stand by them. I usually have enough tolerance to pretend I don't see it when he pushes mum well beyond what most parents will stand for, although I do occasionally interfere on her behalf. Anyway, when it's just he and I things go smoothly - very well in fact - but when she's at home the two of them argue over just about everything. My wife has never learned how to avoid perpetual disagreement but rather replies in such a way that offers room for counter-point. They can go at it for half an hour! Over nothing at all!

But what is really worrying for me is the jealousy our boy displays when my wife is at home. He insist on holding mum's hand (demonstratively declaring he won't hold mine) when crossing the road, he keeps her between us whenever we're in town, and a hundred other, small displays of “mother's-boy”-ish-ness. If I were a stranger I'd think I were an awful father who instills fear (or worse) in the boy. Then there are the cuddles my wife and I share … he comes rushing in to give mum a cuddle, to outdo me I suppose, and if he hears the two of us in discussion he'll come charging in the room to speak over our voices and interrupt each and every sentence in turn.

So OK, I realize the problem lies with my wife's inability to draw a few lines in fostering the boy, but she just isn't made that way, the dear. We have talked about it and she usually says that she quite simply doesn't want to alienate our son. Yes, that's right – she's afraid of making him angry with her. She's worried he won't like her.

I'm torn. Pressuring my wife to change would be putting too much stress on her otherwise lovely philosophy on life, yet trying to get our boy straight without it might be impossible.

Has anyone else had this experience? If so, what long-terms effects has it had on the child?

This is what to do .
Go out and buy Steve Biddulps book
Raising Boys
It will tell you exactly how to handle this .
At the same time buy his book Manhood
Every man should read it and especially every father of sons.
( you can pass it on to him when hes bigger)
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This is what to do .
Go out and buy Steve Biddulps book
Raising Boys
It will tell you exactly how to handle this .
At the same time buy his book Manhood
Every man should read it and especially every father of sons.
( you can pass it on to him when hes bigger)
I would recommend Steve Biddulph too - AND he lives here in Tasmania and I've met him - he makes very good sense. His books are sold worldwide and he's considered a sensible practical expert on bringing up boys.

And please ignore the claim above that you are jealous of the boy and he is behaving normally. He most definitely is not and I've taught boys for 40 years and particularly special needs children and have three sons of my own and my partner has four sons from a previous marriage so I think I probably know what I'm talking about.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top