Join for free
Page 2 of 48 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:03 AM

Re: The Indigenous Australians

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
In what way Meg ?
It been many long years that Australia have been a self governing country
Why should the original inhabitants still be so disadvantaged?
Sorry Muddy, there seems to be something muddy about you.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:05 AM

Mr P why do you think that there is still racist feeling against the Aborigines.
Eg why did a 13 year old girl call Adam Goodes the aborigine Ozzie rules footballer ' an ape' ?
This is a man who was voted Australian of the Year and yet was insulted by a girl and was consistently booed on the soccer ground after the incidence ?
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:13 AM

I don't know why some people are racist and I don't know how to change them either. If you do know then please let us know too, instead of just having a go at something you seem to know little about.
We need solutions to the problem, not telling us what the problem is.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
In what way Meg ?
It been many long years that Australia have been a self governing country
Muddy it has only been a sort time in the scheme of things that Australia has been colonised.
It is less than 80 years ago that we shipped about 10,000 of our own 'unwanted' children over there many of whom were abused and used as little more than slave labour.
We in this country are not really in a position to be pointing fingers at anyone , are record of caring for the disadvantaged is not that great.

Why should the original inhabitants still be so disadvantaged?
Maybe you could address that question to the Australian Government .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:39 AM

While in adelade last year staying with friends , I went into the local public toilets , there were two aborigine mothers and their two children , I smiled at them and said hello , they looked blankly back at me . I mentioned this to my friends who have lived out there for 25 years and they told me that the aborigine people are not acknowledged by the city people and no one would say hello to them . I was shocked by this attitude . I also saw many living in the city in the parks , I was told they were homeless and drunks .

Quite a shock to me to be honest .
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:49 AM

Just a question for those that might know. Do the Maori people in New Zealand have the same issues with racism and discrimination as the Australian Aboriginals? Looking at the situation as a complete outsider with no knowledge of the situation on the ground, it does appear that the Maori are much better integrated into NZ society than are the Aboriginals. Is this true, or just a false appearance>
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox

19-10-2015, 10:55 AM

It's 'the little old ladies throwing their hands up in the air' syndrome.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
While in adelade last year staying with friends , I went into the local public toilets , there were two aborigine mothers and their two children , I smiled at them and said hello , they looked blankly back at me . I mentioned this to my friends who have lived out there for 25 years and . I was shocked by this attitude . I also saw many living in the city in the parks , I was told they were homeless and drunks .

Quite a shock to me to be honest .
Susan prejudice against others for reasons of race or otherwise is horrible wherever it happens, there is still plenty of it in this country.

''they told me that the aborigine people are not acknowledged by the city people and no one would say hello to them''.....

There must be many Australians who do not treat the indigenous population that way and who would be outraged at that suggestion .
Deborah2307
Weymouth Dorset
Deborah2307 is female  Deborah2307 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 11:32 AM

I had two visits to Perth Australia this summer has that is where my brother and his family lived. I had never met any Aboriginals until this summer when my brother was ill and then died. My brother was a pastor and had performed Weddings, christenings and funerals for them and they held him in great respect, he helped them with land planning and the development of their land. They were lovely people and spoke highly of my brother at his funeral because they felt he had treated them as equals with valued opinions and ideas. But every Aboriginal I came across was financially poorer and had struggled with the 'white mans' education. They also felt that most of the white Australians did not respect their culture or knowledge which is a real shame.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
It's too easy to point the finger. We need more time please.
Or wait a little longer and it will be too late ? that seems to me to be the reason little is done - wait long enough and they will disappear as a people.

It is not just a government people everyone could do something better and make their lives better - just respecting them might help.

Page 2 of 48 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top