Join for free
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 11 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 03:32 PM

Unbreakable Faith!

Unbreakable Faith!

Is there such a thing?

Obviously I'm referring to faith in connection to religion - faith in a God.

I believe there is such a firmly entrenched belief and I also put forward the notion quite a lot of us are predisposed to becoming a faithful follower.

Examples of people who have declared their unbreakable faith are not hard to find - there are zillions of them but you can generally pick out the ones where it does seem to mean far more than it does to others. Why then does one person develop an 'unbreakable faith'?

Again, same tactic I have used in other discourses, and that is to simplify matters. Lets look at a typical family. There is normally a controlling figure, be it the father or mother, but someone wears the trousers. This person provides a blanket of security over the rest whilst the family are growing up. Once grown up there is normally anarchy and rebellion from the teenagers whilst they try and find their feet to eventually leave the nest. These youngsters are usually strong individuals but not all. Their choice of partner will be a subconscious one based on whether that person can provide what the other needs and in some cases again it is security - be it a father or mother figure.

Taking the above as a premise we can apply it to society at large in that many are predisposed with a desire to be ruled by someone of authority.

The next stage in the development of someone who has 'unbreakable faith' is one based on trouble and strife. Their lives are lacking something that they can't quite put their finger on. They don't feel complete, their lives are out of control in some way or they are suffering from a condition that is literally driving them insane. The 'insane' I will deal with later but for the people mentioned in this paragraph we can put them under the heading of 'troubled'. These people make up the bulk of many religions nowadays. They have been unable to sort out their own troubles so they have no alternative but to stop thinking about it and hand over the reigns to a figure they consider has authority over all. The relief must be immense when they are at long last told, or shown, how to behave and think. Again the predisposition towards wanting to be 'controlled' is at work here.

The 'insane' - those that hear voices (or have heard them ) - fall into a very similar category to the above but are a few steps beyond. How can they be deemed 'insane'? Well for one thing if they continue to hear voices on a regular basis they are obviously paranoid or, suffering from an acute mental condition but generally these people were suffering mentally for too long before finding somewhere where they could offload some of the pressure. These people have a story to tell and usually it is quite a harrowing one. Such people are the die-hards of entrenched belief. Nothing will shake their belief as it would effectively unravel them so the defenses are enormous.

How do you break a supposedly 'unbreakable' faith? Well, for one thing you never attack whatever religion they are using as an emotional crutch. You have to look at the person to find the answer. Something, somewhere created the need and unless that is unearthed and questioned then the 'belief' will remain 'unbreakable'.

Amazing what you can think of during a 6 mile run .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 03:59 PM

Re: Unbreakable Faith!

Same reason some atheist become raving atheists I would suggest. I like to think of my Faith as unshakeable but I hope I am not raving about it. You seem consumed by your atheism in a way I never was.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 04:08 PM

Indeed MKJ, some of us are just quietly Atheist without troubling anyone else.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Indeed MKJ, some of us are just quietly Atheist without troubling anyone else.
Breaks the boredom .
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

23-11-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Same reason some atheist become raving atheists I would suggest. I like to think of my Faith as unshakeable but I hope I am not raving about it. You seem consumed by your atheism in a way I never was.
I'm a lot of things you never were (or are) .
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

23-11-2015, 04:19 PM

Yeah, but does it make sense though - is there some semblance of truth in my ravings?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 05:20 PM

You are becoming quite the philosopher these days Mark.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 05:55 PM

Thankfully in todays World nobody really cares what religion anyone else is, except the very extreme who are prepared to sacrifice their our existence in the hope of gaining an eternal existence after life. There are several different religions married into my family for a very long time now and we all get on great.

I was meaning to ask you Mark, light heartily of course, about this new religion/cult/club/sect you were thinking of forming, love the name by the way, what exactly are you all going to do at the meetings? With no praying allowed, no chanting, no offerings, no candles, robes, symbols, chalices, sermons, bread and wine etc. what will you all do? come to think of it what does an atheist do at an atheists meeting? Just sit there and Ath all evening, I would imagine it would be very boring, and if you told a story nobody would believe you either.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

23-11-2015, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Thankfully in todays World nobody really cares what religion anyone else is, except the very extreme who are prepared to sacrifice their our existence in the hope of gaining an eternal existence after life. There are several different religions married into my family for a very long time now and we all get on great.

I was meaning to ask you Mark, light heartily of course, about this new religion/cult/club/sect you were thinking of forming, love the name by the way, what exactly are you all going to do at the meetings? With no praying allowed, no chanting, no offerings, no candles, robes, symbols, chalices, sermons, bread and wine etc. what will you all do? come to think of it what does an atheist do at an atheists meeting? Just sit there and Ath all evening, I would imagine it would be very boring, and if you told a story nobody would believe you either.
Watch anime on a big screen. You can learn a heck of a lot from it .

Watching it now in fact .
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 06:09 PM

So what you are basically saying is anyone who has a strong religious faith is either a raving lunatic or comes from a grossly dysfunctional family where there is an authority issue, and needs an emotional crutch.

Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top