Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:45 PM

Re: Never Have Happened If Everyone Had A Gun

I heard about this but it does bring to mind the Queen Song-Another One Bites the Dust, Good for Mr.Horn,exonerated.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 06:08 PM

Interesting and also horrifying that the man was being talked out of going out of his house to shoot those criminals, yet he took no notice regardless of the efforts to stop him. He was hell-bent on a confrontation with those two burglars.

I didn't listen to the second link but did he shoot those two dead ? In the UK he would have been in court with a charge of murder or attempted murder (if those two had survived), because he gave the matter thought before he shot those guys. It is possible that in this country the charge of murder would probably not have been reduced to manslaughter either.

Why did it take such a long time for the police to get to the scene?

I am so glad I don't live in America. The wild west habit is still there obviously. They worship their bloody guns don't they ! Shoot first, ask questions afterwards ! That seems to be the same for the police too !
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
Interesting and also horrifying that the man was being talked out of going out of his house to shoot those criminals, yet he took no notice regardless of the efforts to stop him. He was hell-bent on a confrontation with those two burglars.

I didn't listen to the second link but did he shoot those two dead ? In the UK he would have been in court with a charge of murder or attempted murder (if those two had survived), because he gave the matter thought before he shot those guys. It is possible that in this country the charge of murder would probably not have been reduced to manslaughter either.

Why did it take such a long time for the police to get to the scene?

I am so glad I don't live in America. The wild west habit is still there obviously. They worship their bloody guns don't they ! Shoot first, ask questions afterwards ! That seems to be the same for the police too !
He did kill them both, yes. And got away with it too! Difficult to fathom, but as you say it's the wild west over there and they do so much love their guns ..... hero worshippers as they are.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 10:58 PM

The most powerful man in the world genuinely cries - watch Obamas latest speech on American gun control.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35236630

As he has repeatedly said why does America alone of developed nations have these sorts of atrocities?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
The most powerful man in the world genuinely cries - watch Obamas latest speech on American gun control.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35236630

As he has repeatedly said why does America alone of developed nations have these sorts of atrocities?
See the Yes We Can thread also
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
..... Obama ...... As he has repeatedly said why does America alone of developed nations have these sorts of atrocities?
Oh, that's all very nice but people have to man up and leave those emotional and childish ideas behind. The fact is that if everyone had a gun none of those so-called atrocities would have happened in the first place. These things are simple facts of life. America doesn't need gun control …. it needs more guns if it wants to stop the violence. It's even written in the second amendment, for God's sake – you know, the Constitution. It's a proven fact that if you disregard that and remove the guns from the community then the country will fall to Communism quicker than you can say “Y'all done went and took my Freedoms!”
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 05:48 PM

The UK doesn't have all these massacres ! Not many households have guns in the UK. I really don't understand your thinking AO at all. The way I see it is that if every household has guns, then respect for other people would diminish - life is cheap. Solve an argument by shooting the other person - problem sorted. Everybody would be going about their daily tasks, armed to the teeth, for pity's sake these guns KILL. Whether they are handled by adults or children, they KILL. I really don't think that too many people, adults or children, really understand the potential finality of aiming a gun and firing it at somebody.

The gun culture in America is far too deep seated to be sorted out any day soon. People feel naked without some sort of gun hidden on their person !

I don't know what the answer is, but what I do know is that so long as powerful gun clubs exist, there will always be a multitude of guns, and generally available without too many restrictions.

I'm afraid that, in America, guns will never be 'got rid of'. Those powerful gun clubs will always win the day I'm sure. After all they are the ones with the damn guns and the obsessive interest in those things !

Everybody in America wants a gun, because "Phylis down the block has a gun that she has with her all the time ! I want one too !" "Bill next door has a pistol and a shotgun (repeater), and he feels safer, so I want to get a Luger 9mm that fires lots of bullets, and a double-barrel shotgun preferably 12 bore repeater, then I can feel safer."

It is so easy to buy guns in America. In the UK you have to have a shotgun licence for shotguns, or a firearms licence for bullet firing guns. These licences do not grow on trees and there are strict guide lines and rules and you have to satisfy strict enquiries by the authorities. At the very least you have to be a member of a gun club, and I believe you have to leave your weapon under lock and key at the gun club. One used to be able to store the gun in a separate and secure lockable strong cupboard in your own home, with any ammunition stored separately in another similar cupboard. Not sure whether this is still the same today as it used to be many years ago. Perhaps somebody can help on this.

Many years ago, when I lived in a country village, I owned a 410 double barrel (up and over) shotgun. It was an Italian made gun, very light, and it folded in half for easy stowage. I believe it was fondly called a poacher's gun because you could hide it, in it's folded state, in a custom-made pouch on the inside of a coat ! I had to get a licence and I had to state what I would be using it for. It was for killing rats. I also had to show where I would be keeping it locked up and where I kept the cartridges. Actually I got the licence before I purchased the gun, as the gun shop owner checked my licence before he would even consider selling me a gun. Even in those days, in the 70s there were strict laws about gun ownership. Although, at that time I was not obliged to prove I belonged to a gun club, as they do today.

I managed to kill a couple of rats and they were at my father's place. I realised the power of the gun when i hit the rat, as it came out of my mum's kitchen drain pipe, and the impact pushed the rat well back up the drainage pipe. I remember it took my dad at least half an hour of solid full cold tap running water to flush that vermin from the pipe !
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

06-01-2016, 05:52 PM

The UK doesn't have all these massacres ! Not many households have guns in the UK. I really don't understand your thinking AO at all.
I thought you knew me better than that, Gilly.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

06-01-2016, 05:56 PM

The UK doesn't have all these massacres ! Not many households have guns in the UK. I really don't understand your thinking AO at all. The way I see it is that if every household has guns, then respect for other people would diminish - life is cheap. Solve an argument by shooting the other person - problem sorted. Everybody would be going about their daily tasks, armed to the teeth, for pity's sake these guns KILL. Whether they are handled by adults or children, they KILL. I really don't think that too many people, adults or children, really understand the potential finality of aiming a gun and firing it at somebody.

The gun culture in America is far too deep seated to be sorted out any day soon. People feel naked without some sort of gun hidden on their person !

I don't know what the answer is, but what I do know is that so long as powerful gun clubs exist, there will always be a multitude of guns, and generally available without too many restrictions.

I'm afraid that, in America, guns will never be 'got rid of'. Those powerful gun clubs will always win the day I'm sure. After all they are the ones with the damn guns and the obsessive interest in those things !

Everybody in America wants a gun, because "Phylis down the block has a gun that she has with her all the time ! I want one too !" "Bill next door has a pistol and a shotgun (repeater), and he feels safer, so I want to get a Luger 9mm that fires lots of bullets, and a double-barrel shotgun preferably 12 bore repeater, then I can feel safer."

It is so easy to buy guns in America. In the UK you have to have a shotgun licence for shotguns, or a firearms licence for bullet firing guns. These licences do not grow on trees and there are strict guide lines and rules and you have to satisfy strict enquiries by the authorities. At the very least you have to be a member of a gun club, and I believe you have to leave your weapon under lock and key at the gun club. One used to be able to store the gun in a separate and secure lockable strong cupboard in your own home, with any ammunition stored separately in another similar cupboard. Not sure whether this is still the same today as it used to be many years ago. Perhaps somebody can help on this.

Many years ago, when I lived in a country village, I owned a 410 double barrel (up and over) shotgun. It was an Italian made gun, very light, and it folded in half for easy stowage. I believe it was fondly called a poacher's gun because you could hide it, in it's folded state, in a custom-made pouch on the inside of a coat ! I had to get a licence and I had to state what I would be using it for. It was for killing rats. I also had to show where I would be keeping it locked up and where I kept the cartridges. Actually I got the licence before I purchased the gun, as the gun shop owner checked my licence before he would even consider selling me a gun. Even in those days, in the 70s there were strict laws about gun ownership. Although, at that time I was not obliged to prove I belonged to a gun club, as they do today.

I managed to kill a couple of rats and they were at my father's place. I realised the power of the gun when i hit the rat, as it came out of my mum's kitchen drain pipe, and the impact pushed the rat well back up the drainage pipe. I remember it took my dad at least half an hour of solid full cold tap running water to flush that vermin from the pipe !
A really excellent reply Gill!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 06:22 PM

I think highly unlikely ever , that Americans will give up their right "To bear arms".

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top