Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 03:19 PM

Re: How much power in a SINGLE WORD?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Judaism, Christianity and Islam are semetic religions ......
Yes, that is why I introduced it. If re-writing "immigrants" to "Moslems" is OK then using "Semites" ought to be equally OK. However, changing the headline from IMMIGRANT to MOSLEM serves to perpetuate Islamophobic madness. Changing IMMIGRANT to SEMITE only narrows the original term geographically.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 04:27 PM

I get it now, re-read your op.
It was the Jewish newspaper that said the immigrants were Muslim, in fact they could be any religion.
Is that what you meant?
Sorry cross-posted
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 05:11 PM

I get it now, re-read your op.
It was the Jewish newspaper that said the immigrants were Muslim, in fact they could be any religion.
Is that what you meant?
Yes. It may be that the majority of those immigrants were Moslem but by rewriting the original headline from "immigrants" to "Moslems" ..... well, you see what I mean.

Now if someone would have rewritten it from "immigrant" to "semites" then it is a foregone conclusion that somewhere in the Jewish/Israeli camp there would have been a major uproar because, as you know, that one word does not exclude Jews ..... never mind that the term "Moslem" certain does exclude Jew, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, and everyone else.

Sorry cross-posted
No worries.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 08:28 PM

Norway is not in the EU so they can.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

06-01-2016, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Norway is not in the EU so they can.
The Jews News can translate the Norwegian headlines improperly because Norway isn't in the EU? I don't follow the logic.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top