Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 04:59 PM

Re: Cheating in sport

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I just don't get it myself, if I hadn't won something fairly it would have no meaning for me all sense of achievement would be lost .....
I have a confession to make. When I was 21 I entered an automobile competition. I lied, claiming I was operating an engine with less horse power than I actually had. This meant that I was competing with cars less powerful than mine. I won. You are absolutely right. I gained nothing from it other than a trophy that meant nothing to me. After that I continued racing but I declared the true HP thereafter. I never won again but I gained much more from being honest and losing than I had from cheating and winning.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
I have a confession to make. When I was 21 I entered an automobile competition. I lied, claiming I was operating an engine with less horse power than I actually had. This meant that I was competing with cars less powerful than mine. I won. You are absolutely right. I gained nothing from it other than a trophy that meant nothing to me. After that I continued racing but I declared the true HP thereafter. I never won again but I gained much more from being honest and losing than I had from cheating and winning.
Gosh ... how on earth did they not realise the HP of your vehicle ? lol

Did you suffer from guilt afterwards ? Embarrassment ? Anything ?
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Gosh ... how on earth did they not realise the HP of your vehicle ? lol
The engine came in 3 different displacements. Without referencing the serial numbers on the block or the carbruater you wouldn’t know which was which. The emblems on the front wings revealed what engine was under the bonnet ”at a glance” but I changed them for street racing purposes. When I arrived at the track the fellow collecting the entry fee and placing my car in class order saw the emblem and wrote it down. I realized his mistake immediately but I said nothing.

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Did you suffer from guilt afterwards ? Embarrassment ? Anything ?
All of the above. I replaced the emblems with the original and raced in the proper category from then on.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Money root of all evil, unless they can take it out of sport, seems very little problem in amateur sports, I think it will be hard to get it under control.
I'll go along with that Julie, but as they say "That'll be the day"
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
How I hate this. Athletics, cricket, football and now tennis all apparently victims of this pernicious action. Others as well, I suspect

Call me old-fashioned but to me the very essence of sport is fair competition
It really is time the general populous bloody woke up. There is NO FAIR AND SQUARE sport any more.

When online betting was created the world changed . . . PERMANENTLY.

Online betting means computer systems which means that bookies know INSTANTLY how much money is riding on every competitor. Before the inline world it was much much harder to know instantly this information.

Some time after the advent of online gambling, there was another permanent change which was the ability to bet AGAINST a competitor or team or horse. Sites like Betfair for example allow you to bet that a horse WILL NOT win.

Once these 2 events took place the world of sport changed forever. There is just too much money at stake now for bookies and competitors to not be tempted to cheat. Armed with the knowledge that Player A winning will net the bookies £1m and that Player B winning will net the bookies £10m the result is going to be obvious. You can offer to pay Player A £2m to lose the match and you're still going to make a cool £8m.

This IS what happens in practice. Horse jockeys are paid to not win a race and have been exposed doing so. Snooker players dump matches. Boxers take a fall. etc etc

It is pointless betting on any sport to be honest because the entire industry is now crooked as a direct result of the advent of online gambling and the ability to both TAKE and LAY bets. Steer well clear imo.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top