Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Re: "Health Tourists take precedence over British Patients !

"Health Tourists take precedence over British Patients !
I have written about it before on here SG women coming over here 'on holiday' to have their babies including a Russan woman and various other women who needed interpreters taking up beds and local women having to share overworked midwives or go to hospitals further away.
Who goes on holiday when 9 months pregnant.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Would agree with you there GL, Consultants have been known to do private work in NHS operating theatres which is absolutely disgraceful. hey ho, par for the course.
Now I wouldn't have a problem with that providing they pay for the time.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 08:14 PM

Sorry must disagree this time Julie, On no account should a Consultant be using NHS operating theatres to operate on a patient who is paying privately. Private hospitals for private patients. NHS hospitals for NHS patients.
Every private patient in a NHS theatre is taking up the bed, the use of the theatre and staff, and the place of a NHS patient who cannot afford the luxury of being treated privately. No, definitely not right to be using taxpayer funded NHS facilities.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 08:33 PM

Sorry must disagree this time Julie, On no account should a Consultant be using NHS operating theatres to operate on a patient who is paying privately. Private hospitals for private patients. NHS hospitals for NHS patients.
Every private patient in a NHS theatre is taking up the bed, the use of the theatre and staff, and the place of a NHS patient who cannot afford the luxury of being treated privately. No, definitely not right to be using taxpayer funded NHS facilities.
I was thinking along the lines of when they are not in use, to make money for the NHS. But possibly a recipricle deal where they do operations for NHS too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
I can guarantee health tourist do not take priority over NHS patient's. They have private health insurance.
How can you possibly guarantee this are you situated in every health authority hospital. And how do you know they all have health insurance do you know each one personally .

I believe many don't have health insurance, there have been lots of programmes on TV about this subject .

Deliberate' use of the NHS—use by those who come here specifically to receive free treatment or who come for other reasons but take advantage of the system when they're here—is hard to quantify. It's thought to be very roughly between £110 million and £280 million a year.
'Normal' use of the NHS—by foreign visitors who've ended up being treated while in England—is estimated to cost about £1.8 billion a year.
The majority of these costs aren't currently charged for. Only about £500 million is thought to be recoverable or chargeable at the moment.
Who do you think of when you hear the term 'health tourist'? A Spaniard who breaks a leg while on holiday in the UK? An American travelling here deliberately to use the NHS for free? What about a British expat who comes home every now and then to see their old, trusted GP?

All of them can be seen as 'health tourists' in that they've come from somewhere else and may have received healthcare in the UK for free. But for some the cost of their treatment is recoverable and for others it isn't. Keeping track of these cases is exceptionally difficult and so is working out the cost to the country.
https://fullfact.org/health/health-t...-and-who-pays/
There is a shortage of beds in many hospitals here, every bed and place in an A and E department taken by a 'health tourist' is depriving someone else of a place. Therefore many 'health tourists are 'taking precedence over British Patients' because we don't turn them away.
In many instances it is a 'first come first serve health service' regardless of where people come from until a services is full to capacity (A&E and Maternity in particular) .
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
How can you possibly guarantee this are you situated in every health authority. And how do you know they all have health insurance do you know each one personally .

I believe many don't have health insurance, there have been lots of programmes on TV about this subject .
Well said Meg .
It is a total scandal !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Now I wouldn't have a problem with that providing they pay for the time.
I can confirm that they do, at least the one (now retired) who we know.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 07:07 PM

But the NHS is paid handsomely for it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-07-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There is a shortage of beds in many hospitals here, every bed and place in an A and E department taken by a 'health tourist' is depriving someone else of a place. Therefore many 'health tourists are 'taking precedence over British Patients' because we don't turn them away.
In many instances it is a 'first come first serve health service' regardless of where people come from until a services is full to capacity. .
Which, I agree, is completely wrong. If they had to pay I'm sure they'd go elsewhere.

Once again, though, entirely our own fault.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

14-07-2016, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Which, I agree, is completely wrong. If they had to pay I'm sure they'd go elsewhere.

Once again, though, entirely our own fault.
JB I saw a programme where a frustrated employee from the finance department of a health authority was trying to recoup expenses for treatment received by a number of overseas patients who didn't have health insurance. His request for payments to the governments of the 'patients' in question were frequently ignored and there was no other action he could take. He had to let it go.

We need a much better system to receive/recoup payment .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top