Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 07:17 PM

Re: Driverless cars

Of course all back seat drivers could now live the dream D
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 07:38 PM

Think of all the things you could do; set the satnav and then smoke, talk on your moby, eat your sandwiches, do your hair and lippy, take a nap.

Oh, gone the wrong way? How do you do a three point turn....
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 10:54 AM

I’ve got an open mind on this idea. I don’t doubt that there will be teething problems and some early accidents will hit the headlines. But we need to remember that that car drivers cause an awful lot of accidents now. Driverless cars won’t go to sleep, be drunk or be involved in an interesting conversation with a passenger or on a mobile. I think that it quite likely that the accidents would soon be far fewer if this technology becomes the norm.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 11:04 AM

I was listening to someone involved in the development of these cars and he was saying it is unlikely that completely 'driverless' cars will operate here, more like assisted driving with the car taking on some aspects of driving in certain situations.

The cars apparently are better suited to countries like the USA Australia with wide roads and thousands of miles of motorway.
Our overcrowded road network with all its many variations from narrow lanes with high hedges to overcrowded towns would be something of a challenge for any 'driverless' car.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 11:24 AM

Man driverless cars take the fun out of driving.They could be useful to those that don't drive,but then again there is uber,taxi's, bus's, friend's ,relative's.They look like car hijacking bait to me.Except the hijacker would have to go on the pre-programmed route.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
You wouldn't need to pass a driving test surely, so instructors and dvla would lose money.
I would sit in the back and give instructions and advice!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 12:09 PM

I'm normally one for new technology but I really can't see the point of driverless cars. Perhaps someone could tell me what it is we are trying to achieve?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
If the technology used for driverless cars is as 'brilliant' as that for Satnavs, the accident rate will rise enormously, imo.
Probably a lot more competent than a lot of idiot drivers.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Probably a lot more competent than a lot of idiot drivers.
Hmmmmmmmmmm!
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 04:49 PM

I don't even want to know about driving one of those, it'd be like comic cuts.

When my daughter is driving, I'm hitting the invisible brake and all sorts on the passenger side, still it keeps her entertained ...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top