Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 07:13 AM

Re: Do we need a Motoring section?

Recognising folks in cars can be difficult, especially if it is their bottom half you know.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 07:44 AM

I thought a Motoring section would be good for members to advise about simple jobs we could do ourselves and not have to go to a garage.
Last week, one of the bulbs went in the headlight section of my car. I looked in the handbook and replacing the bulb didn't seem as straight forward as I thought.
l rang Halfords and they said it would cost £17.99, (£9.99 for the bulb and £8 labour) l took my car and was surprised that it only took a few minutes to fit! I'm sure, with a bit of advice, l could have fitted the bulb myself!
There could be a thread about who is selling the cheapest petrol.
A thread about tyres, makes, types, air pressure etc.
A thread about the car you own, how it performs and would you recommend it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 08:15 AM

On a serious note I think it could be useful when I was posting about my poor old crv and searching for a new car (Jeremy the Jazz) I wasn't sure where to post it and ended up in general chat but a motoring section could be useful.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Thanks for that Morti - a good link. Have printed off mine for future reference mainly MOT failures due to damaged suspension caused by potholes and excessive use of speed bumps.
Oh gawd don't say that! I've been through some huge potholes lately and my MOT's due!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 09:09 AM

It's good to chat about motors now and then, but whether we need a dedicated section I'm not sure, although if it was just a part of a "Bloke's Shed" section it would certainly slot in nicely.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
There could be a Car Confessions thread... I'll leave that one to your imagination, but I bet there are a few of us who have!
Like the time I 'tested' my car with my new girlfriend, not realising I was parked right outside a police station.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 09:26 AM

I think a motoring section would be a good idea.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
It's good to chat about motors now and then, but whether we need a dedicated section I'm not sure, although if it was just a part of a "Bloke's Shed" section it would certainly slot in nicely.
Now now Barry that's a bit sexist ladies sometimes like to chat about cars too these days.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Now now Barry that's a bit sexist ladies sometimes like to chat about cars too these days.
you would always be welcome in the shed Julie, as long as you knocked first of course...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 09:34 AM

Azz you could have in your list of 10+

members car faults
members fuel economy
What made a member choose a car
what should now be standard instead of accessories
Roads problems reports
Dashcams
repair/ services
next car to get
fitting a car into a home garage
Parking
driving tests
sat nav use or misdirection
cars owned in the past
Easy maintenance tips
Buying experience of a car (ripoff or not)
Make comparison from experience
How to find out if there is outstanding debt or been a crash repair
Checking visually used cars before buying

For example how many realise that having air suspension on a car wears out front tyres quicker than normal car suspension? if there was a motoring section I would explain

Why is it better to buy a light colour car than a dark colour one??? I can answer that as well

Car cleaning
Should one polish a car or not? I can give reasons why not to

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top