Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 05:23 PM

MOT beware

Do you take your car for it's mot a month before the old one expires just to see if it fails on anything? If it does fail that's OK cos the old one is still valid, and you can get the repairs done before the old mot runs out , er, not anymore, the new mot you have done supersedes the old one and the fail is recorded on the database, the police anpr cameras then pick up that you are driving a car with no mot ( and no insurance) so unless you have a pre arranged appointment to get the car fixed you could be subject to a fine and points, plan your mot carefully, or take it for a pre mot check
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 05:27 PM

Re: MOT beware

I just rang to book mine in for early June, the guy said their MOT centre is closed because of some fault with their paperwork. They've been going for years alway good, pick up my car and drop it off etc. They're going to arrange another garage to do it if they haven't sorted it out in time.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 05:31 PM

I always have a pre MOT check with my usual mechanic who then takes it to the MOT station, but thanks for the info, will pass it on.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 05:49 PM

Yes...if it passes the MOT will commencd from the date of expiry.
if it fails then it trumps the existing one but you are still insured...3rd party risk only.

an MOT is only really valid whilst its in the garage.....once you leave it is not proof if roadwodthyness.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 05:53 PM

I think there's some misunderstanding here. There are in fact 2 different issues in play. As follows:

MOT

There is a legal requirement to have a valid MOT certificate. This is a state/government requirement and it ensures that everyone takes their vehicles to be checked at least once per year. It really doesn't achieve much or mean much, it simply forces people to get their vehicles actually checked and that in turn feeds an entire industry of work.

Roadworthiness

There is a requirement for every car to be road worthy and not dangerous. This is NOT something that is deemed by an MOT. Of course AT THE TIME any MOT is conducted and the car is passed, the vehicle is deemed roadworthy, but the moment you drive away, and at any time thereafter, that situation could change. For example, your headlight bulb could pop an hour after the MOT resulting in your vehicle not being road worthy for night driving. Your rear bumper could come loose making it dangerous to pedestrians and other motorists, and so on.

Every driver is responsible for ensuring that their vehicle is road worthy and the police can at any time stop you and charge you if it isn't, regardless of any MOT certificate.

Thus the scenario posed in the OP is meaningless/moot. The MOT certificate is a red herring. If your car HAS failed an early MOT then it clearly is NOT road worthy and thus if you choose to drive it, you could be stopped and quite rightly prosecuted for it being un-road worthy.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 06:51 PM

That doesn't make any sense to me Primus and I can't see there has been any change to the rules recently .

I take my car in for an MOT a couple of weeks before it is due,
..if it passes I get a certificate there and then,
..if it doesn't I get the car fixed within the allotted time left on the existing MOT and then I am given my certificate.
This is what the Gov. Website says on the matter...

Earliest date you can get an MOT
An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.
You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.
Example
If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.
You can get an MOT earlier, but the MOT renewal date for the following year will be different.

Your vehicle can either pass or fail the MOT. If it fails, you’ll get a list of things that need to be fixed.

Passing the MOT
If your vehicle passes the MOT:
you’ll get an MOT certificate from the test centre
it will be recorded in the MOT database

If your vehicle fails the MOT:
you’ll get a ‘refusal of an MOT test certificate’ from the test centre, it will be recorded in the MOT database

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to have the failed defects fixed at a pre-arranged MOT test appointment.
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/the-mot-test

The only change I know of is that the result is now recorded on a database and that has been the case for a few years.

This is what took place when I had an MOT in March .
Or am I missing something...
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Meg.
You can MOT your car at any time.

If you ade selling it and wish to sell it with 12 months ticket you can take it one monfh before expiry date....if it passes the new MOT will run from the expiry date....in essence giving you a 13 month MOT.

If the car fails...your existing MOT is voided. You dont have that time to get it dons and remain MOT'd.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Meg.
You can MOT your car at any time.
Yes I am aware of that Tpin

If you are selling it and wish to sell it with 12 months ticket you can take it one month before expiry date....if it passes the new MOT will run from the expiry date....in essence giving you a 13 month MOT.
If the car fails...your existing MOT is voided. You dont have that time to get it dons and remain MOT'd.
That part doesn't register in my brain as making any sense at all it might if I was selling my car
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I think there's some misunderstanding here. There are in fact 2 different issues in play. As follows:

MOT

There is a legal requirement to have a valid MOT certificate. This is a state/government requirement and it ensures that everyone takes their vehicles to be checked at least once per year. It really doesn't achieve much or mean much, it simply forces people to get their vehicles actually checked and that in turn feeds an entire industry of work.

Roadworthiness

There is a requirement for every car to be road worthy and not dangerous. This is NOT something that is deemed by an MOT. Of course AT THE TIME any MOT is conducted and the car is passed, the vehicle is deemed roadworthy, but the moment you drive away, and at any time thereafter, that situation could change. For example, your headlight bulb could pop an hour after the MOT resulting in your vehicle not being road worthy for night driving. Your rear bumper could come loose making it dangerous to pedestrians and other motorists, and so on.

Every driver is responsible for ensuring that their vehicle is road worthy and the police can at any time stop you and charge you if it isn't, regardless of any MOT certificate.

Thus the scenario posed in the OP is meaningless/moot. The MOT certificate is a red herring. If your car HAS failed an early MOT then it clearly is NOT road worthy and thus if you choose to drive it, you could be stopped and quite rightly prosecuted for it being un-road worthy.
It used to be that if your car failed, and you still had say a month left on the old certificate, you could legally drive it away, to say, carry out repairs yourself, then drive it back to the mot centre and have it retested and passed , the old mot was still legal and, as tpin said you could have 13 months mot , if it passed first time, now the old mot is voided at time of testing, if it fails, you have no mot
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
It used to be that if your car failed, and you still had say a month left on the old certificate, you could legally drive it away, to say, carry out repairs yourself, then drive it back to the mot centre and have it retested and passed
That has nothing to do with passing and failing. Any time that you don't have an MOT you can still do all of that. For example, I have a car that I don't use and is sitting on my drive, no MOT. It is registered as SORN. If I decide I want to get it MOT'd I can legally drive it to the MOT centre if I have booked the MOT.

This has always been the case.

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
the old mot was still legal and, as tpin said you could have 13 months mot
Again this is irrelevant. At any time that your car becomes unroadworthy you become liable and open to prosecution if you drive the car. It matters not one iota whether you have a valid MOT certificate or not.

If you go for an MOT early and the car fails, all that means is that you've been notified formally that your car is not road worthy. You don't necessarily need an MOT check to ascertain that. Your mate next door might look at your car and tell you that something is wrong with it.

The notion that if you have a valid MOT certificate in your hand you are somehow immune, is just incorrect. The MOT has no meaning whatsoever.

Your car MUST be road worthy AT THE TIME you are driving it. That is YOUR responsibility.

All of this ought to be obvious really so I'm slightly surprised that this issue is being debated.

Some simple examples

You have a valid MOT certificate but since that point :

- You have a bald tyre
- You have a headlight out
- You have a brake light out
- Your brake pipes have become badly corroded
- Your wing mirror got totally smashed by another car

etc etc etc

The MOT certificate means nothing.

The car must be road worthy.

The only instances where you may drive a car in an unroadworthy state are:

1. To drive to a repair shop/garage
2. To drive to an MOT centre where an MOT has been booked

That has always been the case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top