Join for free
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 09:35 PM

S/H car dealers!....

Rant...I hate them with a passion.

Just some examples of the shysters they are:

1. When I originally was looking at buying a MX5, I was looking at the mk2's.
I found one that looked A1, but then checked the mot history online.
It failed on excessive corrosion to both sills and the front chassis rails. The chassis rails are structural, and you'd not want them to fail in an accident.
So, this car managed to pass an mot the next day and 6 miles later.
It was so obvious that the dealer had covered up the issues with filler and some rattle cans, then had it re-tested at a different mot station. They were selling a deadly rotbox and bloody knew it. To sort the sills / rails properly would have been circa £1,600 minimum.

Years back, I bought the wife a BMW coupe.
Firstly, it ran out of fuel before we could get it to the nearest service station!. Next day, smells of fuel and I found the fuel tank leaking onto the exhaust. After a major row, I got them to fit a new fuel tank. Then a couple of weeks later, major rust appeared on the rear wheel arch - obviously another quick bodge by them to sell the car. I was so furious, I gave them 2 choices - money back or they would get a slap!

A mate of mine was in the trade for a while as an employee and told me what they get up to..

Pics of the car are taken at certain angles to deliberately disguise issues.
Fuel is drained from all cars to put in their own - that's why s/h cars are nearly always on the red with fuel.

I've lost count of the number of times I've driven miles to look at a car described as immaculate, to find it's a pile of junk!

They'll give any bullshite excuse to pay as little as possible for your car in p/x.

They go out of their way to not spend 1p on any vehicle they have for sale. No pre inspection checks etc. It's literally just washed and goes up for sale.

They'll use any reason possible to avoid carrying out any work under the mandatory 3 month warranty. In fact, some still regularly pretend they are giving that warranty as a favour, and omit letting you know it's actually mandatory as a dealer.

They really are the scum of the earth....

Have you got any tales about dealers?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:02 PM

Re: S/H car dealers!....

I feel much the same as you fender.
In fact I have 3 sort of people I feel like that about:

1. Second hand car salesmen
2. Double glazing salesmen
3. The dreaded estate agents.

I might add a fourth actually - local builders. (Not out Tpin of course.)
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:34 PM

Took a car to a reputable dealer to have the brakes done as the light had come on.
As it was a bit of a beast (M3) The brake pads were a small fortune.

2weeks later the brakes on the front n/s collapsed nearly ending in a collision.
I was in Scotland at the time so recovery took it to the nearest dealership.

They informed me that the pads hadn't been replaced but the warning bulb removed.
RossT
New Member!
oxford uk
RossT is male 

18-05-2017, 01:39 AM

Dealers and servicing garages too; nightmares.

I got very badly ripped off with the first car I bought years ago, and decided I'd do my best to learn about cars and car maintenance and avoid garages as much as possible.

Problem is that that they have become increasing complex, especially with so much electronics involved. It's not surprising that those that can afford it seem to buy new cars every few years and take a huge hit on depreciation.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 09:20 AM

Hi

For many years I have bought Ex Works cars.

Genuinely maintained, cost no object.

I no longer have access to them.

My Current Car is Ex Mobility, serviced by a Company I know.

Boring, but safe and reliable.

A Ford C Max Titanium Diesel Auto, six years old, 65,000 on the clock.

It carries all my fishing tackle and will last for years to come.

It is however very boring, and I am looking for something better.

The rules have been relaxed, so my ex staff can buy for others now.

I have my eye on a Ford Mondeo Estate Diesel Auto, upgraded engine, brakes and suspension.

A very easy life, 3 years old and only 36,000 miles.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 10:54 AM

When I first passed my test, I was interested in a white Fiesta in a dealer's window. Luckily I paid for an AA mechanic to inspect it because his exact words were 'Don't touch it with a barge pole'. I went back to get my deposit, which he gave me with no problem when I showed him the report.

There were about ten cars in the showroom ranging from a Fiesta to a Bentley. It was only then that I realised they were all sprayed white. I guess they must have had a job lot of white paint.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Since I got my new car I've had breaks done all worn out, two tyres, exhaust replaced and boot catch replaced. It passed the mot in March with no advisories. I was assured the breaks were done before I picked it up.

Jeremy is back on the road fit as a fiddle now but I've learned don't listen to shcar sales people. That bunch of flowers wasn't just flattery it was to hide what shysters they are.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 06:14 PM

Use the link below before buying any s/h car.
Gives a good insight....

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk...660.1487514029
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 09:31 PM

Wouldn't buy a used Car from a S/H Car Dealer. why pay their mark up, under the belief that you have some recourse, in the event you have bought a Lemon. Buy a new one, and do you research, or, buy a knacker from a private seller, at a rock bottom price, either way, you should not get stung.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

For many years I have bought Ex Works cars.

Genuinely maintained, cost no object.

I no longer have access to them.

My Current Car is Ex Mobility, serviced by a Company I know.

Boring, but safe and reliable.

A Ford C Max Titanium Diesel Auto, six years old, 65,000 on the clock.

It carries all my fishing tackle and will last for years to come.

It is however very boring, and I am looking for something better.

The rules have been relaxed, so my ex staff can buy for others now.

I have my eye on a Ford Mondeo Estate Diesel Auto, upgraded engine, brakes and suspension.

A very easy life, 3 years old and only 36,000 miles.
I'd be interested to know your feelings about buying another diesel car right now, bearing in mind the various intentions to penalise their owners issued by the government and local councils.

Not that I'm opposed to them, of course. I've had an excellent diesel car for 14 years now and, everything being equal, I'd have another diesel next time. Sadly, it looks like I may come in for some of these proposed penalties, so I'm not too sure now.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top